Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 300 mb I am impressed Placement matters

genobkk
Star

300 mb I am impressed Placement matters

I did have to manually update the firmware on both satalite and router, but now it is working flawless 

I received my Orbi today and I must say I am impressed.   I am having some placement issues. I placed router on first floor back corner where my fiber connection comes in, then satalite on 2nd floor. This gave me 300 mb plus on first and 2nd floor but 100 mb on 3rd floor. It seems 5G is not going up to the next floor and I am connecting to 2.4 gig.

I decided to try putting the satalite on the 3rd floor thinking the signal would be to low to connect to the base but it connects. With satalite on 3rd floor I get 200 to 240 mb. The 2nd floor seems to bounce from 2.4 to 5 gig judging on speed test ranging from 100 mb to 220 mb. I made a few final adjustments to position hoping 2nd floor stays closer to 200. Strangly placing the satalite on 3rd floor gave me more even distabuted higher speeds but not reaching max, then on 2nd floor from above

as you see placement is very important and feel only way to get maximum speed would having an Orbi on every floor but overlapping could then become an issue. I have more then doubled and even tripled my speed in some areas from my previous set up I am impressed with the unit and will expertment with different placement options in the next few days, but today I tried many

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3

yep, thats the key here , placement is very important to give the backhaul the best sync rate and then get the best throughput i have found on the horizontal plain about 15 meters and a wall or so away is a good distance between router and sat , so i have some ethernet cabling run so my orbi router was in the center of my house and a sat at ether end and after a bit of playing around with the power levels in the router i now have just about perfect 5 gig coverage everywhere inside the house

my house is brick on the outside walls  so outside my client devices tens to drop back to 2.4 gig but thats fine as it still works well for simple browsing and stuff on 2.4 gig

pete

Message 2 of 3
genobkk
Star

Currently I am on 5G throughout my 3 story townhouse as well, I kept the satalite on the 3rd floor but put it on the floor in the closet.  While on the 2nd floor I connect to Satalite on 3rd floor.   I took a bit of a speed cut but made coverage on 5G over entire place.  Speeds through satalite on 2nd and 3rd floor are now 200 to 240.  Since my spacing is a bit far from the base on 1st floor I lose a bit,.  I can not connect to base on 5G while on 2nd floor.  I have no easey way of moving base high near celling to get better connection therefore my speeds while on 1st floor show up to 350 mb or more some times 

placeing statalite on 2nd floor brings my speeds up to 320 to 350 mb on 2nd floor but drops to 80 to 100 mb on 3rd   I prefer a more uniform speed rather then having it very slow in one area and super fast in another.  Unless I come up with a better idea I will keep my placement where it is.  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7