Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

3rd Satellite Available?

SDOrbi
Initiate

3rd Satellite Available?

I have a 6,000 SF single story house with a separate guset house. I'm getting 100 Mbps at the locations in the house where I need the service. However, only getting 20 Mbps at the guest house. My current internet service is capped at 100 Mbps. I bought the $500 Costco router + 2 satellites last night. Is it possible to add a third satellite (for use in the guest house)?              

BTW- I read some of the other posts where it noted that each satellite gets the signal from a back haul to the router-not from another satellite. I found this response strange because when I first set-up the system, I only used one satellite. The result was 20 Mbps. I place the 2nd satellite half way between the first and the router, in a triangelated pattern-the Mbps went to 110. Don't understand how this could be happening unless it's using mesh technology. Full disclosure-I know next to nothing about tech.

Message 1 of 5
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: 3rd Satellite Available?

There are places to buy just the satellite -   I am sure it is available on all of the normal tech places such as Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

Orbi is definitely NOT true mesh - but star topology.  Each satellite talks directly to the router - not to each satellite.  

I've never heard of anyone reporting their speed or any issues when connecting 3 satellites - so I can not speak to how the system handles it.   It is supposed to be able to handle more than 2 - somewhere on the information page for Orbi there is an answer to that question - I just don't remember what it was.  For some reason, 5 is sticking in my brain, but go to the Orbi information pages, scroll through the questions that were asked, and it should be there.

How were you measuring the speed when you had only one and only two satellites connected?   Is it possible that the device you measured with was connected to the 2.4Ghz band the first time and the 5GHz on the other measurement?   

Message 2 of 5
Mgomez85
Apprentice

I am selling one on eBay right now, it's brand new and amazon have some available also
Message 3 of 5
MIloanguy
Aspirant

Message 4 of 5
SDOrbi
Initiate

Thank you for your comments TC. I couldn't figure out how to tell if I was connected on 2.4 or 5 GHZ using Speedtest on my Iphone. I updated my firmware, and moved the Satellite that I was using(I thought) to triangalate the signal. You're correct-it had no affect on the location where I will be placing the Dish Hopper. Therefore, I was able to place the 2nd Satellite in my guiest house. I essentially have 100 Mbps at all locations in my house and guest house, which is really amazing when you look at the footprint-which I'm guessing is 1/3 to 1/2 acre(I have an unusual shaped house). I'm getting about 10 times more bandwidth now with Orbi. The real test comes in a few weeks when I switch over to my new SATV system.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7