Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4PM26A51099A0 WIFI IS DROPPING ON MY PHONE

Carla1
Follower

4PM26A51099A0 WIFI IS DROPPING ON MY PHONE

Need help my phone keeps dropping the wifi. Nothing else is dropping just my phone. Any suggestion on how to fix this or why it's happening? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Rattler
Guide

Yes. Me too. I have an iPhone X using WiFi calling on T-mobile. It happened on an hour long call about 4 times. I seem to be the only one with problem on our network as my wife has an iPhone 6 and it seems to work well for her with very ocassional dropped call. I am usually staying in the same location, not moving about the house, when it happens. The call just dies and I have to call back. I also had it happen on a call when they came back from being on hold, they couldn't hear me. Weird.

One thing I tried that seemed to help is to turn off UPnP. I saw a post where you adjust the Advertisement Time to Live to 16. I did this, but then decided to simply move the UPnP Portmap list to actual Port Forwarding and turn off UPnP. I havent' really had a long call to test this and I have no idea if it does anything. I was having other problems (2.4gHz Harmony Remote connecting to far away Orbi Sat, not the one in the room) that didn't get fixed with this.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 7
80njc80
Apprentice

It could always be an issue with your phone but you haven't provided much information to go by.  Are there specifics you can provide to better understand the reasoning behind the dropout?  I.e. Number of attached devices, is it the only device on the 2.4 or 5GHZ channels, distance from Orbi etc etc.

Message 3 of 7
bwc_
Guide

Searching this forum will show countless Orbi users reporting their iOS devices dropping off of their Orbi networks, since an automatic Orbi software update happened on their routers. I am one of these victims, and and furious that there's no fix after months, and I am running the latest beta software too.

If you've posted a "me too" post here, definitely share whatever details you can so Netgear can have as much data as possible as to who is suffering from their bugs, so that they might remedy the situation.

For my, it's two brand new iPhone 8s (one 8, one 8+) and an iPad Pro (first gen 9.7") all on the latest iOS. We have one Orbi Router (RBR50), and one Satellite (RBS50), working in access point mode because we're forced to use a Verizon FiOS router or else our TV boxes don't work correctly. Both are running v2.1.4.16.

We have many HomeKit devices (running from an AppleTV) which all began functioning again after I installed the beta v2.1.4.16. 

The drops happen several times an hour. They usually reconnect within a minute or so without user intervention. A couple of times, I've manually intervened, reselecting the network. Sometimes when that happens, the iPhone reports that the WiFi router "has no internet connection".

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Daisy Chain, MIMO and Fast Roaming. 

Set up IP address reservations for the devices ON the router. 

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Ensure distances between router and satellite start at 30feet. Should not be closer...

Message 5 of 7
bwc_
Guide

I appreciate the effort, but none of these were necessary prior to the auto firmware update.

MIMO and Fast Roaming are both off, and Daisy Chain is only for 3+ nodes, I have a 2-node system.

I'm not manually assigning IPs because with IoT devices, I have like 30 devices, and also, Orbi isn't doing the routing in the first place. Also, this should never be necessary.

Channels aren't a problem because I don't have enough neighbors close enough to be to have inter-network interference.

All I want is my Orbi to work as well as it did in the early spring before the update, with all its default settings. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading then.

Orbi is a router thus is has the ability to router traffic or be used in AP mode. So depending upon your network needs, routing maybe necessary.

Try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

No problems after settin up my friends system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7