Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5 GHZ Mismatch

stevefxp
Apprentice

5 GHZ Mismatch

I have the RBR50 and RBW30 in my home. I am using a WiFi analyzer tool that shows me in depth information about my WiFi performance. It is telling me that I have a 5 GHZ mismatch on my APs, that the APs are not all configured with the same VHT capabilities. I thought if I make a change in the admin console it will propogate to all APs. Can someone please let me know what is going on here?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Please tell more:

• Which WiFi analyzer is this?
  • What is VHT?
Message 2 of 11
stevefxp
Apprentice

I am using inSSIDer Plus by Metageek. A great tool for WiFi tool that is very cost effective for home networks.

VHT is a IEEE standard for AC networks: https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/communications/article/21798297/understanding-ieee-802...

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks again.  LOVE this stuff.  I did not find inSSIDer Plus on the web site.  A lot to read through, too.

Can I confirm the VHT differences are between the Orbi RBR50 and RBW30 or between two channels on the RBR50?

I believe the "highest possible"  capacity requires a 160mhz channel width and that the channel width of "front side" and "backhaul" radios may not be the same.

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

As I suspected, inSSID34 shows the "user side" 5G signal at 866mb and the "backhaul" 5G signal at 1,733.  I believe this is because the backhaul uses a different encoding scheme, which is why Netgear emphasizes the speed of the backhaul in their sales literature.

Do the differences you noted require subscribing to the "Plus" level to see?

Message 5 of 11
stevefxp
Apprentice

Not sure...but dm me and I will let you login using my Plus account. There should not be any differences between the two devices bc the backhaul is supposedly the same across all devices...the front end speed is different.
Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@stevefxp wrote:
Not sure...but dm me and I will let you login using my Plus account. There should not be any differences between the two devices bc the backhaul is supposedly the same across all devices...the front end speed is different.

Ah, this is not so.  Specs for the RBW30 clearly show the 5G backhaul at 866mb, whereas the "50" series are 1,733.

See Tech specs: https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbw30.aspx 

Can you attach a screenshot showing the values which seem inconsistent?

Message 7 of 11
stevefxp
Apprentice

So this is weird. Please see the screenshot. It clearly shows max speed as 866 for all!

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

The screen shot shows "Front Haul" radios on channel 48.  The "Backhaul" radios will have "[HIDDEN]" where the SSID usually goes and should be on channel 155 [157] with speed 1,733.3

Message 9 of 11
stevefxp
Apprentice

I see them as hidden. If you look at the right of the screenshot you will see them...but I see no speed associated with them.
Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I see them on the graph at the bottom.  When I run inSSIDer, I click on "Networks", then when the list of SSID's comes up, I double click on "[HIDDEN]", which brings up a list of radios like this one, except they are on channel 155 [157]. That is where the Orbi backhaul is.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7