Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5 year old Orbi RBR 50 with two RBS 50 satellites

Waugust
Aspirant

5 year old Orbi RBR 50 with two RBS 50 satellites

I have a (approximately) 5 year old Orbi RBR 50 with two RBS 50 satellites in a 5,100 sq ft house with 1gb Cox and a one year old Netgear CM1200 modem. Whenever Cox works on their internet I need to power cycle everything, sometimes more than once, to get my home network back up. No exceptions. We were on vacation this past week and when I tried to check security cameras, I saw my home network was down. Don't know if Cox had anything to do with it. It stayed that way until I got home yesterday, but this time a simple power cycle did not fix things. Shortly after getting everything up, it would go down again. Checking online, I saw there was a firmware update, which I now have done (V2.7.4.24). After doing that and turning on the main TV, Apple TV was no longer connected. I tried to reconnect but got an unending spinning update indication. Looking elsewhere I saw the satellites were down too. Time for another power cycle.

Everything is running now, a half hour later, but I have my doubts. Is there a lifecycle to Orbi mesh routers and satellites, and if so, is 4 or 5 years about it? I should add, my system spent it's first 3 years in a house at the beach with a lot of sand dust and salt in the air. I'm considering the AXE11000 system hoping for 1) more stable performance, and 2) better coverage. Will I get that and if so, will the new system only last 4 or 5 years? I can live with that if that's normal performance for mesh systems but do not want to go through the trouble and expense only to find the same instability.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: 5 year old Orbi RBR 50 with two RBS 50 satellites

@Waugust wrote:
So it sounds like the issue is whether or not Cox has updated their cable to the modem, not the cable I used to connect the modem to the router, correct?

Not necessarily a Cox issue.  When people report WiFi systems not behaving as expected, we often ask questions that are similar to doctors collecting a medical history.  The initial post contained a number of questions:

• "Is there a lifecycle to Orbi mesh routers and satellites, and if so, is 4 or 5 years about it?"
    No.  Electronics will continue to function indefinitely. My RBR50 Orbi is now approaching 6 years old and still going strong.
    What happens is that new features often appear that are not compatible with the radio chips in the older WiFi systems.
    WiFi6 (and now WiFi6E) use different encoding than the older WiFi5 that our Orbi chips use.  I own zero devices that feature WiFi6 or 6E, so buying a WiFi system that supports those new standards would be of no benefit to me.

• I'm considering the AXE11000 system hoping for....
    That latest, and most expensive Orbi system definitely offers more capability and range if you have devices that can take advantage of it.
    And, that newest system appears to be undergoing "growing pains" if posts on the forum are any indication.
    My take, "out of the frying pan into the fire."

What this sounds like to me is that the firmware update may not have been entirely successful and the most common advice is to do a factory reset on the system and configure it again using exactly the same WiFi credentials (SSID and password) so that all devices will connect to it.

There have been a number of intermittent issues caused by faulty ISP cable wiring.

If the system becomes stable and works for days at a time, I see no reason for change.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

For any RBKE960 series information and support, please visit this forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

There is no mfg name on the modem, only Netgear Nighthawk CM 1200. Not a Cox (internet provider) modem, purchased at Best Buy approximately a year ago.

No factory reset since updating the FW. Things have been working since my original post and I'd rather not do that unless the connectivity problem persists.

The modem is in the southeast corner of the 5,100 sq ft house, second floor, one of the satellites in the northeast corner, first floor, the second in the west side of the house, first floor, each well over 30 feet from the modem. 

According to the Orbi app, channel 48 is used, 1 and 48 recommended.

I have neighbors all no doubt having wifi but their houses are not as close as has been true in previous neighborhoods with no network stability problems.

DK where to find Circle and Traffic Meter, Armor not used.

Message 3 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

I no sooner finished my response and lost connectivity in my home office located outside the main house where I am typing this, possibly the furthest point from the modem, but less than 30 feet from one of the satellites located within the main house. When I walked in the house standing by the satellite, my phone regained connection. The computer in the outside office did not; I had to restart the computer, which now shows 5 bars on the connectivity "fan".

Are 5-year old Orbi product likely to have network stability problems, particularly mine which spent 2 to 3 years very near the ocean with sand dust/salt air? We've since moved inland and have much clearer air.

Time for a replacement or first do a reset? If the latter, do I reset everything (modem, router, both satellites)? What will that do to all the devices currently connected when I bring the network back up? 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The Mfr of the modem is Netgear. You have CM1200. I have this modem as well. Good modem.

Lets check the modem out first.

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

What is the CAT# LAN cable between the modem and RBR? CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the distance between the router RBR and 📡 satellite(s) RBS?

Message 5 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies and willingness to help.

Don't know where to find "modems connection status page." Logging into my Netgear account, I find the CM1200, purchased February 2021, but nothing about accessing settings as I do when logged into my Orbi router page. Once there, nothing I recognize having to do with the modem.

I haven't contacted Cox (ISP) about this problem because connecting ethernet to a laptop delivers expected speeds (900+). However, I'm not connected that way long enough to know that stability is or is not an issue. But when the network is down wirelessly, the modem lights indicate all is working. To be honest, I've never been all that confident in what they tell me when I have contacted them previously.

"Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box." What is the "ISP service box"? No splitters in the house as far as I know and none between the modem and the router.

I replaced the ethernet cable between the modem and router but doubt it is RG6. I will order that today for connection between the modem and router and from the router to a Sonos Boost (creates dedicated wifi network for Sonos equipment.)

Not sure how to compute the distance between the modem and satellites. Modem on second floor, satellites first floor. Straight line, modem to closest satellite is the distance between first and second floor of two story house, plus about 35 feet left to right. Distance to second satellite is distance between first and second floor plus about 55 feet. 

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Waugust wrote:

Don't know where to find "modems connection status page." Logging into my Netgear account, I find the CM1200, purchased February 2021, but nothing about accessing settings as I do when logged into my Orbi router page. Once there, nothing I recognize having to do with the modem.

The CM1200 User Manual describes how to log on to look at the modem on page 16:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM1200/CM1200_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 7 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

Got it, thanks. Is the attached what you asked for?  Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.18.15 AM.png

Message 8 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

Looking at cables on Amazon, I see references to 6, 7, and 8, braided, flat, most all saying RJ45, but nothing about RG6. Any specific recommendations?

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

RG6 is the coaxial cable used to bring service from Cox cable to the modem.

Cat5e or Cat6 cables with RJ45 connectors are used to connect computer devices, such as modems, routers, computers, etc.

Message 10 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

So it sounds like the issue is whether or not Cox has updated their cable to the modem, not the cable I used to connect the modem to the router, correct?
Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Waugust wrote:

Not necessarily a Cox issue.  When people report WiFi systems not behaving as expected, we often ask questions that are similar to doctors collecting a medical history.  The initial post contained a number of questions:

• "Is there a lifecycle to Orbi mesh routers and satellites, and if so, is 4 or 5 years about it?"
    No.  Electronics will continue to function indefinitely. My RBR50 Orbi is now approaching 6 years old and still going strong.
    What happens is that new features often appear that are not compatible with the radio chips in the older WiFi systems.
    WiFi6 (and now WiFi6E) use different encoding than the older WiFi5 that our Orbi chips use.  I own zero devices that feature WiFi6 or 6E, so buying a WiFi system that supports those new standards would be of no benefit to me.

• I'm considering the AXE11000 system hoping for....
    That latest, and most expensive Orbi system definitely offers more capability and range if you have devices that can take advantage of it.
    And, that newest system appears to be undergoing "growing pains" if posts on the forum are any indication.
    My take, "out of the frying pan into the fire."

What this sounds like to me is that the firmware update may not have been entirely successful and the most common advice is to do a factory reset on the system and configure it again using exactly the same WiFi credentials (SSID and password) so that all devices will connect to it.

There have been a number of intermittent issues caused by faulty ISP cable wiring.

If the system becomes stable and works for days at a time, I see no reason for change.

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So select the Cable Connection tab then select on the tile, it should give you a long row and columns list of information that you can copy and paste here in the forums.

@Waugust wrote:

Got it, thanks. Is the attached what you asked for?  Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 11.18.15 AM.png

Message 13 of 14
Waugust
Aspirant

Just wanted to update and thank you for your help. I see your name mentioned throughout the forum and can't imagine how you find time to do all you do.

I decided to do a factory settings reset. I thought some of the problem may have to do with previous settings from where we lived before now mixed with our new location. Resetting the modem was no problem but things didn't go well with the router and satellites. The latter wouldn't sync or hold connection with the router.

I worked on it from 8:30 this morning until finally deciding to call Netgear support just before noon. First call lasted about an hour before losing connection. Second call, with a much less helpful agent, about another 40 minutes before that call dropped. Third attempt connected me to an excellent agent. After checking potential problems, one satellite was synced and working as it should, the other not. He had me move that one next to the router, do a factory reset, which made the connection. He then had me move it about halfway to where I wanted it to see if the connection would hold. It did, I moved it to the final place and all is well so far.🤞 It is now just after 3 PM.

Thanks again for all your time and help, I learned a lot from you and appreciate your patience.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7