Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5GHz Band for Wireless Backhaul

ekhalil
Master

5GHz Band for Wireless Backhaul

Using wifi scanner, I can see that my Orbi system is -almost- always using channel 108 for the backhaul network. When I started the system few days ago the backhaul was using channel 140 for couple of hours then switched to channel 108 and stayed there.

I have a neighbour who also has an Orbi system and I can see that his system also uses channel 108 for backhaul and I see that his signals are quite strong at my house (RSSI -71 and -80).

I'm sure that our networks are distrubing each other and I think this is one of the issues that makes my backhaul not stable.

It should be wise that Orbi either automatically chooses a free channel (there are many other unused channels to choose from!!!) or let us choose a channel.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@Blanca_O @ChristineT, appreciate it if you can get me some information on this please. Thank you

Message 2 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ekhalil

The WiFi connections coming from Orbi are using the lower 5GHz channels such as 36, 40,44 and 48 and backhaul connection uses the upper 5GHz band channels such as 108, 140 and etc. You cannot change the backhaul channel on you Orbi system. The backhaul channel is automatically selected.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Thanks @Blanca_O for the reply,

Yes, I understand this. What I want is that the system should be smart enogh to move between the upper 5 GHz channels. That is my Orbi should detect that my neighbour's Orbi is also using channel 108 for backhaul and his signal is strong at my home, so my Orbi should then choose another channel (from the same upper 5GHz channels) instead for my backhaul. It seems that the system is programmed to select channel 108 and stay there!

Please see below what I mean:

Skärmavbild 2018-11-08 kl. 07.20.54.png

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7