Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 5Ghz channels

Chuck_M
Mentor

How do you list the contents of the directory from telnet?  I can see how you can change directories, but I sure would like to see the file structure and contents

Message 26 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

How do you list the contents of the directory from telnet?  I can see how you can change directories, but I sure would like to see the file structure and contents

ls (for list)

Message 27 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

I use the unix (linux) "ls -l" command, where -l is the lower case letter L.  (Wikipedia has a nice description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ls)

as in:

cd /var

ls -l

Message 28 of 31
raven_au
Virtuoso

@st_shaw wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying isn't true.  Here in the US, my Orbi is using 80 MHz channel 157 for the backhaul.

I suspect Orbi reserves the right to use DFS channels for the backhaul, if necessary, but it's behind the scenes and not something the user has access to adjust.

I believe that there are slightly different requirements in different geographic regions that router manufactures must obey.

Only recently domestic routers have started to appear that handle the DFS wireles channel usage restrictions and there are interoperability problems with them too in mesh network environmnets when not all routers in the mesh can handle the DFS channels.

For a start that would mean updating the router wireless drivers sub-system from the wireless device manufacurer to a release that supports DFS, if it even exists for the board being used by Netgear for the product, and then there's all the problems that can arise from such an update ...

Point being this type of update is probably out of the control of Netgear for a start.

Message 29 of 31
ekhalil
Master

@raven_au wrote:

For a start that would mean updating the router wireless drivers sub-system from the wireless device manufacurer to a release that supports DFS, if it even exists for the board being used by Netgear for the product, and then there's all the problems that can arise from such an update ...

Point being this type of update is probably out of the control of Netgear for a start.

Orbi uses DFS channels for the backhaul links only and never for the client access. I guess the reason for this is what you reffered to here.

if the router or satellite detects that a DFS channel is currently used by a radar, it will mark it as non-available and exclude it from the list of available channels. This process will have no impact on the WiFi clients, since the backhaul will just move to another channel if it happened to use that channel at that time.

However, if DFS channels are used for client access (fronthaul) and the AP detects that a radar is using a particular channel that is currently in use, then it may communicate to associated WiFi clients to stop transmitting on that channel.  The AP will then switch to another available channel within the Channel Move Time, which is generally set to 10 seconds. This behavior will cause connected WiFi clients to be disconnected from the network for a period of time before re-connecting to a different channel.

I think that just because not many devices currently support DFS procedures, Netgear chose not t use the DFS channels for fronthaul to avoid unnecessary client disconnects.

Message 30 of 31
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello.
Arris and Pace routers provided by att use DFS channels, and coupled with auto settings is a recipe for disaster when it comes to Amazon devices that can’t connect to those channels, which then forces users to have to fiddle with the management console to tweak settings.
Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 43 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7