Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A Plea to Developers: Traffic Shaping, QoS, & Bufferbloat Handling

fairalbion
Initiate

A Plea to Developers: Traffic Shaping, QoS, & Bufferbloat Handling

As of today (firmware v. 2.1.2.18), the QoS page in the configuration utility remains opaque, with only a Speedtest app available to tell me what my upload & download speeds look like.

For me, with the Orbi doing the routing, & the upstream modem in bridging mode, bufferbloat remains a problem. I suspect many other Orbi users see the same thing: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest.

Other manufacturers address this in their home/SOHO market routers; I suspect under the hood they're using something like codel/fq_codel. It's not rocket science.

Netgear needs to address this in the Orbi. If it doesn't, it will drive its customers into the arms of its competitors.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
Joechang
Apprentice

Netgear is really slow on software development. Had high expectations about Orbi but really upset now.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
fairalbion
Initiate

Update. I relegated the Orbi & satellite to access point duties and installed a firewall/router box running IPFire. It's doing routing, NAT, DHCP & DNS and, crucially, advanced queue management using fq_codel.

Judging from the speed tests, buffer bloat is no longer a problem. Things are much better - no stuttering watching streaming TV, faster uploads etc.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7