Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A mesh of mess?

CarlosFandango
Follower

A mesh of mess?

I live in a long converted barn. Have the Orbi RBK53 with 2 satellites.
I have 900mbps internet supplied by Gigaclear. (As far as I know the Gigaclear router cannot have it’s WiFi switched off.) I also have a Sky Q mesh network.

I’ve been using a £100 Tenda mesh network. It worked well built still had some dead spots and was generally slow.

I opted for the Orbi and 24hours in, I’m having some issues.

1. Netflix/some channels like all4 will not stream on iPads.

2. Firestick won’t work. ‘Connected with problems.’

3. Unable to download ANY apps from App Store.

(All three work when switched back to the main router.)

I have the Sky Q and smart TV connected direct to the main router as it’s close and everything else is through the Orbi.
I get the feeling that Netflix etc think I’m using some sort of VPN. Anyone else has this issue with gigaclear and orbi before I just return it. I’m not bad with technology but expected this to all be plug and play 😞
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: A mesh of mess?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies

@CarlosFandango wrote:
I live in a long converted barn. Have the Orbi RBK53 with 2 satellites.
I have 900mbps internet supplied by Gigaclear. (As far as I know the Gigaclear router cannot have it’s WiFi switched off.) I also have a Sky Q mesh network.

Yes, but can you disable the router bit of the Gigaclear router?

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you may need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

The Orbi will work in AP mode. Mine does.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7