Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2200 Orbi Micro Router no internet access

Maartenorbi
Aspirant

AC2200 Orbi Micro Router no internet access

After installing yesterday my new Orbi system everything worked perfect.
Today I came home and noticed that I have great wifi signal but no internet access(wifi symbol plus Exclamation mark).
Yet, I can access internet, and basically do whatever except I can cast to my chrome cast on my TV because I got an notification on my TV that the chrome cast can't access my wifi.
Maybe I just need to boot my internet modem but that still keeps me wondering why I can put this message out, and use internet on my wifi network while it has no internet acces.
Somebody have simular issues?

Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: AC2200 Orbi Micro Router no internet access

It would help if you can identify:

• Which model of Orbi. "AC2200" is a description of speed, not a model.
    Orbi routers have names like RBR20, RBR40, RBR50, etc.
  • Where do you see this WiFi symbol with exclamation mark?
  • How did you set up and manage the Orbi?
    (Orbi web interface or Orbi "app")

Thanks

Message 2 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

I'm not the best on this one, as noticed butt here we go:

-it's an RBR20
- the exclamation mark is on top of my screen of my smartphone

-I installed true Orbi app
Message 3 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

I managed to make a screens hot while logged in on my app.
It shows that my chrome cast is used different signal hertz.
Message 4 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

Also my next printscreen is kinda disturbing haha
Message 5 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

It appears you have three devices on the Orbi.  Do all three of them display this "No internet" symbol?

Which device are you using now to access the forum?

Thanks

Message 6 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Maartenorbi wrote:
Also my next printscreen is kinda disturbing haha

Yes, the Red dot indicates no internet.  Obviously a little misleading since you are actually using the internet.

Which specific internet modem (brand, model #) is the Orbi's yellow (WAN) jack connected to?

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Maartenorbi wrote:
Today I came home and noticed that I have great wifi signal but no internet access(wifi symbol plus Exclamation mark).
Yet, I can access internet, and basically do whatever except I can cast to my chrome cast on my TV because I got an notification on my TV that the chrome cast can't access my wifi.
Maybe I just need to boot my internet modem but that still keeps me wondering why I can put this message out, and use internet on my wifi network while it has no internet acces.
Somebody have simular issues?

Message 8 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

I'm not following on the last 2 questions but I made a print screen what can help at least at the first question
Message 9 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

The firmware appears up to date.  The only outstanding task is to look at the product label on the internet modem (probably on the bottom or the back) and report the brand and model number.  How many ethernet jacks does the internet modem have on the back?

Message 10 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

It's connected to a: zyxel VMG8825-T50
Message 11 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

I'm using my own phone Huawei with has he no internet signal on my screen. The android I didn't check and my girlfriend is using iPhone and it's connected w
WITHOUT the exclamation mark. (weird)
Message 12 of 16
Maartenorbi
Aspirant

4 internet jacks are on the back of the modem. I used jack 1 to install yesterday
Message 13 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

This modem is clearly a "modem/router/wifi" device.  Which means:

• It is capable of broadcasting WiFi signals which will compete with the Orbi for radio space.
    Most people find that disabling the WiFi on the modem improves performance on the Orbi.
    The modem WiFi might be disabled by using the WiFi button on the back, or by accessing the modem management web site and disabling it there.
  • This device is a "router", which means you have two routers.  (Zyxel and Orbi).  While this obviously "can" work, it is not preferred.  (You are obviously using it now.  My previous modem was in router mode for over a year and I noticed nothing.)  The problem is that this creates a "Double NAT" situation which can make using specific features not work.  (Internet gaming, VPN, port forwarding.  Google for more information.)  This may not affect you now (or ever), but getting rid of it is a frequent topic on the forum.

One solution is to contact the internet service provider (ISP) and ask them to "put the Zyxel into 'bridge mode' and turn off the WiFi, please"

Another solution is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.

Message 14 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Maartenorbi wrote:

I got so excited by the question that I missed the most important fact.  This is a "new system".  Netgear provides 90 days of "complimentary support" with new systems. (Which is obviously a lie.  It is built into the price of the product.  But, anyway...)  When you register the Orbi on the Netgear registration page, there is a link to "contact support".  I came to this forum when my Orbi was over a year old and I was too stubborn to pay for support.  YOU, on the other hand, can get what you paid for!

If you are able to contact Netgear support, please report what they say about your questions (internet offline, and Chromecast).

p.s. I went to the Orbi "app" forum and did a search there.  Found nothing useful.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Maartenorbi wrote:
It's connected to a: zyxel VMG8825-T50

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7