Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2200 or AC3000 and existing EX7500

rick1533
Aspirant

AC2200 or AC3000 and existing EX7500

2 questions:

Trying to decide between AC2200 and AC3000 to replace Spectrum supplied Sagecom WIFI router. 2500 sq ft 4BR 2 floors. 2 cellphones 2 laptops 3 tvs. 2 smart tvs. Streaming problem at night. Home office. No gaming.

I have a EX7500 extender. Can I pair with both above? Which would work better?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC2200 or AC3000 and existing EX7500

Agreed. I prefer to use RBS with Orbi and Extenders with R or XR series routers. Though I beleive the EX and RBS/Ws are basicially similar HW. Just FW would be the main difference. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The RBR50/RBS50 Orbi has entirely separate radios for the "backhaul" connection between the router and satellite and has a higher theoretical maximum connection between them.  It also has more ethernet ports for connecting devices directly to the Orbi rather than using WiFi.  How either of them "cover" a house depends on where they are placed in the building.

The EX7500 will "pair" with any WiFi system, including the Orbi.  However, it will remain an "extender" which is separate from the Orbi WiFi network.  Extenders typically create two new WiFi SSID's (one 2.4G and one 5G) and devices will not "roam" between the extender and the Orbi units.  If you have some devices that get weak signal from the Orbi units and never move, and extender can be useful.  I use one to support some security cameras that are too far away from the Orbi to get a strong 5G WiFi signal.

Unless cost is a big concern, I would pick the RBR50/RBS50.  Another consideration is that adding satellites later is not cheap or convenient.  The "package" price of an Orbi with two satellites is much less costly than buyiing a package with one satellite and trying to find another satellite later.

Message 2 of 6
rick1533
Aspirant

Thank you very much for thorough analysis and recommedation, CrimpOn! I do appreciate it.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Extenders can join and re-broadcast the same SSID name as well. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Extenders can join and re-broadcast the same SSID name as well. 

This is true.  I have mixed feelings about which is a better way to go.

• Duplicate the SSID/password, which makes configuring devices more consistent,
    but may lead to a false assumption that "one big mesh nework" has been created, when it has not, vs.
  • Have separate SSID/password, which makes very clear that devices are connected to the extender.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreed. I prefer to use RBS with Orbi and Extenders with R or XR series routers. Though I beleive the EX and RBS/Ws are basicially similar HW. Just FW would be the main difference. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7