Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2200 vs AC3000

Libertas1
Aspirant

AC2200 vs AC3000

I am new to mesh wifi.

Costco is offering the AC2200 for $169 as there is a coupon.  I saw that there is also an AC3000 and watched a tutorial for that.

I have a single story, 3 bed 3 bath house with 2000 sq ft.  Would the AC2200 be sufficient for me?

If I have Comcast/Xfinity come out and install in my new home, and I also have this device:

a. Assume the tech from Comcast will NOT install it?

b. If I am going to use the Orbi, what do I have the installer do differently?

c. Is Comcast installing a combo modem router or just modem?

Thanks...

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC2200 vs AC3000

@Libertas1 wrote:

I am new to mesh wifi.

Costco is offering the AC2200 for $169 as there is a coupon.  I saw that there is also an AC3000 and watched a tutorial for that.

I have a single story, 3 bed 3 bath house with 2000 sq ft.  Would the AC2200 be sufficient for me? Yes, I have a 5000sq ft two story home and my cable modem Orbi which is AC2200 works great. 30 feet is recommended in between the Orbi router and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.

If I have Comcast/Xfinity come out and install in my new home, and I also have this device:

a. Assume the tech from Comcast will NOT install it? Correct

b. If I am going to use the Orbi, what do I have the installer do differently? If possible, have the ISP tech install a modem only unit. Something with out a built in router. If possible. 

c. Is Comcast installing a combo modem router or just modem? If possible, have the ISP tech install a modem only unit. Something with out a built in router. If possible. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 11
Libertas1
Aspirant

Thanks and I have NO clue what you are saying. I will have to hire professionals it sounds like.  Thanks

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can have the tech guy review this for this information, He'll understand it. 

Good Luck. 

@Libertas1 wrote:

Thanks and I have NO clue what you are saying. I will have to hire professionals it sounds like.  Thanks

Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Almost any modern router will cover a single story 2,000 sq. ft. house if placed near the center of the house.  In my experience, cable installers do not enjoy running cable much past the outside wall of the house.  If he (she?) puts the cable drop near the center, the modem/router that Comcast installs might be "good enough".  A drop against the outside wall is tailor made for a mesh system, such as Orbi, because you do not have to pull any wire to get your WiFi across to the other side of the building.

It's good that you are thinking ahead.  Not only do you need technical help choosing and installing the right solution, you also are likely to need support when "things go bump in the night."  If everything is from Comcast, then you call Comcast.  Once you mix in customer owned equipment, solving problems becomes more challenging.

Good Luck!

Message 5 of 11
Libertas1
Aspirant

Thanks, just found out to use the Comcast Wireless Gateway router modem I must rent it for $11.00 a month, not doing that.  So what I need is a netgear version of what they want to rent to me that will be compatible that I can purchase.

Here is one of the items Comcast recommends  https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-c7800-611  and I cant find it on Amazon.

Retail Wireless Gateway

Netgear C7800 | Model number: C7800    

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can get a supported modem only unit that will work with Orbi. You can buy these online. NG has a few. CM 600/700/1000/1100 modem only units, then you can set up and connect a RBK system to it. 

@Libertas1 wrote:

Thanks, just found out to use the Comcast Wireless Gateway router modem I must rent it for $11.00 a month, not doing that.  So what I need is a netgear version of what they want to rent to me that will be compatible that I can purchase.

Message 7 of 11

@Libertas1 wrote:

AC2200  is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to their hardware to describe their wifi speeds.

I have a single story, 3 bed 3 bath house with 2000 sq ft.  Would the AC2200 be sufficient for me?

Visit the product pages and feed your needs into the filters. There is room there for the size of your property.

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Then see what people say here, and check the reviews, for possible candidates.

Message 8 of 11
Chuck_M
Mentor

I recommend if your ISP has NOT installed your equipment yet, you ask them to install only a high speed modem (without a router) built into it.

ISPs (like Cox) will actually provide that for free.... I am not sure if Comcast will provide for free.   They do, however, love to rent you modem/router combinations which then make connecting another router downstream problematic.

Back to your original question about AC2200 Vs AC3000...  These two routers will provide the exact same performance between the router and the WAN (the outside internet via the cable modem).  What is different is how these routers communicate internally -- or downstream to your devices in terms of speed and broadcast power.  If you believe yourself to be a "power user" with many devices and a big footprint... and plan on moving a lot of data, go with the AC3000.

If $$ are tight and you think your are more of a basic user with a relatively normal sized home, go with the AC2200.

As mentioned above, several manufactures make AC3000 and AC2200 class routers.  The folks on here are typically Netgear fans, so they would recommend a Netgear product like Orbi.

Installation -- when you have a cable modem installed as described above is incredibly simple and something you can do by yourself if you can follow simple instructions.  The folks on here stand by to assist you.

I would inquire as to the ability of getting a normal "routerless" cable modem installed and then decide what kind of router you will want to put in.  In the meantime, you can connect one device directly to the cable modem via an ethernet cable so you wont be without internet.

Please let us know if this makes sense.

Message 9 of 11
Libertas1
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us all know what you end up with. 

Smiley Wink