Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2200 will not connect after modem change to CM802A

jamesearlcain
Aspirant

AC2200 will not connect after modem change to CM802A

I switched from a combo modem to a modem only and the Wifi had limited connectivity. after a reboot or two there was not wifi avaialble. Could not connect via the phone app either. After a few hours on the phone the modem was verified to be working. Swapped the wifi router with my old nighhawk and it was working ok. Factory defaulted both Orbies and then setup as new. Everything worked fine after that. Not sure what the problem was, but factory defauting the units and setting up as new worked just fine. also noted that Cat5 cable is only good up to 100mb/sec. Swapped that out for a Cat5e to support up to 300mg/sec, which was the service that I was switching to.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC2200 will not connect after modem change to CM802A

The only thing you should have done was to power off both modem an RBR for 30 seconds, then power ON the modem first and let it sync with your ISP services. Then power on the RBR. The RBR should have got connected and checking with a wired PC with the RBR would have shown internet access accessible or not. Sometimes the RBR holds on to the MAC address of the modem and needs to be turned off when a modem swap out is done. 

Message 2 of 4

Just one thing to add to what @FURRYe38 says.

@jamesearlcain wrote:

I switched from a combo modem to a modem only ...

What was the "modem only"? Some of these, such as the Netgear DM200, also have limited router features and need to be tweaked to make them genuine modem only devices.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Also need to verify the modem model#. CM802 isn't listed on NG support page. 

This wouldn't happen to be a Arris Tonchstone CM820A modem would it? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7