Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3000/RBR50 WiFi Failure

drwalther
Aspirant

AC3000/RBR50 WiFi Failure

I am grateful for your assistance, since the novice stuff accessible at my level (updating firmware, rebooting, hard restarts) have failed.  

Device specifics:

firmware version V2.7.3.22 (when the firmware check doesn't fail, it says there's not a new((er)) version of firmware)

security method WPA2-PSK

Anywhere Access on, can't turn it off...get the message "this operation is not available using Access Anywhere" (same thing when I try turing Traffic Meter "on" in the app homescreen

primary device plus satellite/extender unit

hardware warranty 24 Feb 2019

About a week and a half ago, got an error message in Safari on a Mac laptop that a website couldn't be reached. Others in the family using iOS devices struggled with obtaining internet download info. We did the usual reboots, restarts, turning off the hardware, letting it sit, then turning it back on. The problem persisted and was narrowed down to the WiFi.  I run an ethernet cable through the Orbi, and that data was unaffected.Given the sequence of events and absence of any fundamental changes on my end (new devices, new OS, nothing questionable as malware), I did not feel culpable. I sent out call for help to the family tech wizard, but unfortunately this eluded his expertise.

The intermittency of the types of problems confound greater elaboration. Sometimes iMessages don't go through (the WiFi network). Sometimes an alert shows up in iOS on the Wi-Fi scren that there is "No Internet Connection". Sometimes informed that a Server Identiy couldn't be identified, with the specific server DNS designation listed. I revisited account settings for email, and updated a port setting, as well as name of the questionable server, only to find disappointment. My Nest, MusicCast, 1Password, and other apps on my iOS device reported that their cohorts in the real world were no longer discoverable, as if they'd not worked together pleasantly and productively for years and years.

Eventually what I believe to be the smoking gun did present.  Certificate "www.routerlogin.net" expiring 1/6/31 was Not Trusted (in dramatic red.)  Now, I get that we all have some basic and fundamental trust issues, some of which might actually be beneficial to us, this one provided screen after screen of excuses (orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net, routerlogin.com, extened key usage info, algorithm, parameters, and my favorite, the Signature Data) but it neither screamed hacking attempt from afar, nor provided anything useful to me in resolving the ongoing issue.  A kind soul in support at my ISP suggested I reset the Orbi to factory settings. I've been reticent to pull that particular trigger because I simply don't believe that will resolve this, I wasn't told to do it by someone who actually understood the problem, and it'd generate a lot of work for me in setting it all up again.  

Of course, I pulled out my best Google-Fu.  I sort of hoped to the first result would be a netgear patch installable in a few seconds.  Nah, just another unicorn there.  I did find something that appeared applicable here in the forums, and the solution was turning off Access Control. That sounds great, and I'm up for it, but sadly confess that I just don't know how.

Thank you for reading the lengthy ramblings of this noob! I authentically appreciate it, even if you have nothing more to add to the solution.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
drwalther
Aspirant

Re: AC3000/RBR50 WiFi Failure

CrimpOn! truly "sensei"!  Thank you!

In iOS, go to Settings-->Wi-Fi, and there's a blue "i" in a circle, to the right of the Wi-Fi network to which one is connected. Tap the circled i (yes, it means "info"...) scroll down to the phrase "Private Wi-Fi Address." The default setting is "on." Toggle it to the left so the green is replaced by grey.  It appears rebooting device, but most especially rebooting the Orbi, is useful, if not necessary. Note: Apple will place the phrase "Privacy Warning" beneath your chosen Wi-Fi network name after private address is off.

Private Address is a new security feature by which Apple has deemed to increase our privacy (KUDOS to them for this, and for caring at all about privacy!).  Unfortunately, it appears that, HAT TIP CrimpOn!, the Orbi software is frustrated by the daily generation of a spoof MAC (Medial Access Control...not any other MAC you might be thinking) address (what makes the privacy in the "private address" feature.)  I don't see a huge deal just turning it off, since it's our home network, and is as secure as the protocols permit it to be. It is early, but this seems to have restored our internet access via the Orbi Wi-Fi signal.

I suspect many are affected by this.  I hope this helps.

Please Netgear, in the next firmware update, please code to embrace this feature!  

Thank you CrimpOn! Superuser indeed! (maybe one day I'll move up to inserting cool pics with highlights, circles, arrows and the like, rather than indulging in excessive verbosity!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

"i-things" are affected by Apple embracing the trend toward 'private' MAC addresses for WiFi. (iPhone, iPad, MacOS WiFi, etc.)

There is a Network setting to say, "use the actual hardware MAC address."

Can you try checking that setting?

Message 2 of 5
drwalther
Aspirant

CrimpOn! truly "sensei"!  Thank you!

In iOS, go to Settings-->Wi-Fi, and there's a blue "i" in a circle, to the right of the Wi-Fi network to which one is connected. Tap the circled i (yes, it means "info"...) scroll down to the phrase "Private Wi-Fi Address." The default setting is "on." Toggle it to the left so the green is replaced by grey.  It appears rebooting device, but most especially rebooting the Orbi, is useful, if not necessary. Note: Apple will place the phrase "Privacy Warning" beneath your chosen Wi-Fi network name after private address is off.

Private Address is a new security feature by which Apple has deemed to increase our privacy (KUDOS to them for this, and for caring at all about privacy!).  Unfortunately, it appears that, HAT TIP CrimpOn!, the Orbi software is frustrated by the daily generation of a spoof MAC (Medial Access Control...not any other MAC you might be thinking) address (what makes the privacy in the "private address" feature.)  I don't see a huge deal just turning it off, since it's our home network, and is as secure as the protocols permit it to be. It is early, but this seems to have restored our internet access via the Orbi Wi-Fi signal.

I suspect many are affected by this.  I hope this helps.

Please Netgear, in the next firmware update, please code to embrace this feature!  

Thank you CrimpOn! Superuser indeed! (maybe one day I'll move up to inserting cool pics with highlights, circles, arrows and the like, rather than indulging in excessive verbosity!

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@drwalther wrote:

Alas, I would not hold out hope because the entire point of private MAC addresses is to prevent the WiFi system from remembering a device.  Let's say your home telephone system has the ability to recognize when a certain phone number calls and display a 'name' on the phone display rather than the caller's number.  (I do this with relatives, and even my dentist's office.) But the next time someone calls, they use a different phone number.  How does the phone system know, "oh, that is Uncle Joe using a different phone.  I'll say Uncle Joe is the caller."?  Can't be done.

Message 4 of 5
drwalther
Aspirant

points well taken CrimpOn!  I am grateful for your clarity in examples!

UNFORTUNATELY, I have to rescind my overly eager "PROBLEM SOLVED" declaration of earlier in the thread.  Shortly after changing the setting on Private Address on each device for our home WiFi network, problems restarted. I thought a couple of quick tests on each device after rebooting would be adequate to declare victory!  Again I was wrong.  Before an hour had passed, no device was able to really access anything from the internet. Several error messages, different, one or two familiar (related to the "outlook365 not found" or a security certificate issue. Not good, not good.  I threw up my hands, nearly two day's dedication and attention apparently wasted, plus, the careful instructions on how to get around this hiccup for other Orbi users, now a joke.

A day or two later, my cousin, a "CrimpOn" of sorts himself, who had recommended Orbi, as well as kindly offering free support beyond "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?", texted with a "shower thought."  He suggested I rename the network in the Orbi app on my iOS device. He explained a bit about the SSID.  I found the energy to revisit the issue. I changed the name, then after dual consideration, decided I needed to do the Factory Reset.  (There's a space on the back, at the bottom, by the plugs, needed an opened paperclip, did the press until the lights flashed on both Orbi's.) Then I renamed, chose a new password, and held my breath, as I reconnected device after device to the new WiFi, cursing my choice to make a SECURE password.

It's been several days, every family member reports that WiFi services appear to be functioning as before the issues started up.  Rename? Restore factory settings...? Not sure what the answer is, but certainly RELIEVED it's back up to speed again!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7