Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC3000

alanm001
Aspirant

AC3000

I have the AC 3000 ( router and satellite).  I am looking to purchase an extender for my outside.  two questions- what model should i get, and what is the hook up process...do i just plug in outside and it connects to the router/satelite?  thanks  Alan

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS50Y is an outdoor model satellite and you can connect to the RBR or RBS wirelessly. 

Message 2 of 5
alanm001
Aspirant

so the unit just plugs into an outlet and it will connect to the orbi router/satelite?  are there any other Orbi Extenders for outside that will work with the AC 3000 , that are less expensive?  thanks

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS50Y is an outdoor model satellite and you can connect to the RBR or RBS wirelessly. 

The RBS50Y is the only NG outdoor satellite. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@alanm001 wrote:

so the unit just plugs into an outlet and it will connect to the orbi router/satelite?

The RBS50Y User Guide shows the steps to install, power, and sync the outdoor satellite to the Orbi system:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf

There are also videos on the web showing the process.

"Outdoor rated" is not trivial, which is why it is more costly.  Depending on what coverage is desired, some users install an indoor satellite right next to an outside wall and close to the area where coverage is desired.  Really thick walls make this impractical, so sometimes people locate the satellite next to a window (regular glass, not metallic film covered).

There are outdoor rated WiFi access points from other vendors that are less costly, but they are not integrated into the Orbi "system".  Just as the RBS50Y can be attached to non-Orbi routers as an ordinary (non-Orbi) access point, non-Netgear access points can be attached to an Orbi as an ordinary access point.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7