Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ALERT TO USERS RBR50/RBS50 you may have to do a manual FIRMWARE update

BSmithline
Aspirant

ALERT TO USERS RBR50/RBS50 you may have to do a manual FIRMWARE update

ALERT TO USERS RBR50/RBS50 your systems may not show that a NEW firmware update is advalable when under Advanced / Firmware you choose "CHECK"

I had to do a manuel update.  I know that the average user does not even check for updates.  It was my hope that these newer devices where going to auto update firmware.  Looks like we are now going to have these devices all over the world that will never be updated.  What a same.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do I have to upgrade the firmware if my Orbi is working?

Message 2 of 18
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

LOL Netgear is dammed if they do dammed if they don't, many people on these forums complained because all previous firmware was auto-updating, now they get complains because it doesn't auto-update lmao.

Anyways dude relax, I'm almost certain that the firmware will automatically update at some point in the future the next time the router is rebooted or power cycled, no need for these alarming headlines.

Message 3 of 18
netgearguy
Apprentice

There are many users who are not happy that they have updated to 2.1, so as noted it's kind of a no-win situation depending on whether the new FW turns out to be a friend (and you didn't update) or foe (and you did update).  🙂

Message 4 of 18
tagteam
Virtuoso

BSmithline wrote:
...I had to do a manuel update...
You're lucky. I have to wait for the push because Manuel refused to do the update for me.
Message 5 of 18
netgearguy
Apprentice

@tagteam wrote:

@BSmithline wrote:
...I had to do a manuel update...
You're lucky. I have to wait for the push because Manuel refused to do the update for me.

Maybe Manuel needs to get some additional training on routers?  Or is he just too recalcitrant?  FWIW, his brother Manual updated my Orbi just fine.  😉

Message 6 of 18
aani75
Apprentice

🙂 nice one.

Message 7 of 18
BSmithline
Aspirant

Security. In this case the version I was running was not updated to patch the "Krack Attack" security hole.
Message 8 of 18
BSmithline
Aspirant

The problem was that the “check” function did not work.
Message 9 of 18
JMU1998
Luminary

Great news ever! Now I don't have to worry about auto update being forced to me breaking my network setup.

Message 10 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

No, the 2.0.0.76 firmware seems to be a special hot-fix patch made available to Orbi customers demanding the KRACK fix: https://kb.netgear.com/000049562/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-0-0-76-Hot-Fix.  It was not made generally available on their download page nor set to auto-upgrade.  This was a special case and should not be interpreted as a general "you must manually upgrade your Orbi firmware" requirement.

Message 11 of 18
BSmithline
Aspirant

Agian my main reason for the post was that when I said check for updates the systems RBR50/RBS50 did not show any new firmware updates.  It was not until I went to the Netgear support website that I could see that there was newer firmware to address the "KRACK" security issue.  

Netgears website post https://kb.netgear.com/000049498/Security-Advisory-for-WPA-2-Vulnerabilities-PSV-2017-2826-PSV-2017-... notes NETGEAR is aware of WPA-2 security vulnerabilities (known as KRACK attacks) that affect NETGEAR products that connect to WiFi networks as clients.   Orbi and Orbi Pro WiFi Systems: RBS50 running firmware version 2.0.0.74 or earlier.    My systems where running firmware version 2.0.0.74 so not patched.

Message 12 of 18
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

You have the answer to your own statement just in the post above yours, read it.

Message 13 of 18
jvaudio
Tutor

I updated one of my RBS50 satellites to the lastest firmware manually. When I went to update the other one, the popup fails to load - the dialog just shows the code for the popup. I've disabled ublock origin and allowed popups for orbilogin, but this issue remains. I tried Chrome, Firefox 57, Vivaldi, and Edge.

I was able to update the RBK50 firmware, but now I have one satellite on 2.0.0.74 and one on 2.1.1.12. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 14 of 18
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Just download your satellite's firmware manually from the Netgear site, then visit your satellite's page by going to its IP address and click on "Firmware Update" on the sidebar, upload the file you just downloaded click update and presto!

Message 15 of 18
jvaudio
Tutor

Hello Ely,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have tried that, but I still receive the same error. It gives me a 401 authorization error but I am never given a dialog to log in.  I've attached a screenshot of the error that I am experiencing:

Thank you

Message 16 of 18
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Have you tried cleaning up your browser's cache and cookies? have  you tried rebooting both the router and the satellite? disconnect your router from the power then disconnect your satellite, after 30 seconds reconnect your router, then turn the satellite back on and try to do the manual update again.

PS: What I see on that screenshot is plain HTML Code, your browser should not be displaying it like that, something is not right, have you tried doing this from a  different machine?

Message 17 of 18
guzzijason
Apprentice

@BSmithline wrote:

ALERT TO USERS RBR50/RBS50 your systems may not show that a NEW firmware update is advalable when under Advanced / Firmware you choose "CHECK"

I had to do a manuel update.  I know that the average user does not even check for updates.  It was my hope that these newer devices where going to auto update firmware.  Looks like we are now going to have these devices all over the world that will never be updated.  What a same.

I'm pretty sure this behavior is deliberate. When new firmware is first released, it can only be used for manual updates by "early adopters". Eventually (assuming things go well), Netgear will enable it for automatic updates. In other words, the people doing the early manual updates are essentially acting as testers for the new code before it is switched on for automatic updates for everyone else.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7