Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AP Mode Vs Router Mode - DHCP Passthrough

ShadowHead
Tutor

AP Mode Vs Router Mode - DHCP Passthrough

Perhaps this was covered many times already. If I missed the post or failed to find the answer, my apologies.

I am curious if ORBI RBR50 offers any option to pass DHCP requests from connected wireless clients over to the main router while operating in ROUTER Mode. 

Setup:

ISP Modem -> Home FreeBSD Firewall -> ORBI RBR50. 

I wish to keep the RBR50 in Router mode in order to enjoy some of the filtering capabilities. However, I do not wish to use the DHCP Server within the RBR50 but rather, allow connected devices to get the IP address directly from the freeBSD Firewall (DHCP Passthrough).  Is there any way to get this to work in this manner ? Whish to avoid double NAT.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: AP Mode Vs Router Mode - DHCP Passthrough

Using the web interface, on the Advanced Tab, LAN Setup, there is a check box, "Use Router as DHCP Server".  Uncheck that box.

Message 2 of 5
ShadowHead
Tutor

Thanks CrimpOn. However, thought that just mean it would turn off DHCP Server.... meaning it expects clients to have static IP addresses hard coded. I dont believe I get actual DHCP passthrough. Will verify.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@ShadowHead wrote:

Thanks CrimpOn. However, thought that just mean it would turn off DHCP Server.... meaning it expects clients to have static IP addresses hard coded. I dont believe I get actual DHCP passthrough. Will verify.

Please post what you find.  I would try this myself, except my new modem is "only a modem."  DHCP Discover is a broadcast packet, where the "to" MAC address is FF:FF:FF:FF.  I would think that the Orbi is supposed to transmit that packet out every link.

Message 4 of 5
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi Guys,

You will need to turn DHCP back on as I don't belive DHCP passthrough is supported?

DHCP discover is a broadcast packet but that is only at layer 2, so will not pass through the ABR. 

CheerZ

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7