Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AP Mode Vs Router Mode

pk-robot
Aspirant

AP Mode Vs Router Mode

I've waited a couple hours on hold without speaking to a tech so I will try here...(not a good sign!)

Installed an ORBI system + Sattelite at home. Considering getting these for work at home employees.

To make things easy for non-technical owners at home, and considering most have an edge router/modem from their ISP that distributes DHCP, what is the best way to configure an ORBI system for them?

Does AP mode mean the ISP gateway will be responsible for DHCP?

What is the difference between "disabling DHCP," and configuring "AP mode?" Does AP mode disable DHCP?

How important is it to disable WIFI on the ISP gateway after the end user configures the new ORBI system?

How do I determine what ORBI device or sattellite I am connected to?

What happens if I connect a Netgear 8 port switch into one of the LAN ports on the ORBI device in AP mode?

Lots of questions ,but I cannot get through to phone support!

Thank you!

PK

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

@pk-robot wrote:

I've waited a couple hours on hold without speaking to a tech so I will try here...(not a good sign!)

Installed an ORBI system + Sattelite at home. Considering getting these for work at home employees.

To make things easy for non-technical owners at home, and considering most have an edge router/modem from their ISP that distributes DHCP, what is the best way to configure an ORBI system for them?

AP MODE

YES

What is the difference between "disabling DHCP," and configuring "AP mode?" Does AP mode disable DHCP?

AP MODE DISABLES DHCP AND ALL ROUTING FUNCTIONS IN ORBI. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT.

How important is it to disable WIFI on the ISP gateway after the end user configures the new ORBI system?

VERY IMPORTANT. ORBI USES LOTS OF SPECTRUM.

NOT EASILY. LOG INTO ORBI WEB GUI AT LAN IP OF ORBI "ROUTER" TO SEE LIST OF ALL ATTACHED DEVICES. LOG INTO EACH SATELLITE WEB GUI AT LAN IP OF SATELLITE TO SEE LIST OF DEVICES ATTACHED TO THAT SATELLITE.

What happens if I connect a Netgear 8 port switch into one of the LAN ports on the ORBI device in AP mode?

THE SWITCH FUNCTIONS AS NORMAL.

Thank you!

PK

See answers above embedded in CAPS.

You said you have a system.  You should setup your system and work with it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

@pk-robot wrote:

AP MODE

YES

AP MODE DISABLES DHCP AND ALL ROUTING FUNCTIONS IN ORBI. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT.

VERY IMPORTANT. ORBI USES LOTS OF SPECTRUM.

NOT EASILY. LOG INTO ORBI WEB GUI AT LAN IP OF ORBI "ROUTER" TO SEE LIST OF ALL ATTACHED DEVICES. LOG INTO EACH SATELLITE WEB GUI AT LAN IP OF SATELLITE TO SEE LIST OF DEVICES ATTACHED TO THAT SATELLITE.

THE SWITCH FUNCTIONS AS NORMAL.

Thank you!

PK

See answers above embedded in CAPS.

You said you have a system.  You should setup your system and work with it.

Message 2 of 3
pk-robot
Aspirant

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7