Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AP Mode or Router

adamgood_10
Aspirant

AP Mode or Router

I just purchased my orbi the other day and it is working good so far I currently have it in router mode but I am wondering if it should be in AP Mode Currently I have it set up with my orbi being the only thing plug into my original modem/router which is the apex 1670a And my printer and computer plugged into my orbi and roughly 8 devices connected to it wirelessly but when when my printer is turned on it shuts down the orbi wifi. would putting orbi into AP mode and plugging my computer and printer back into my apex modem/router work better currently I have my apex wireless turned off so that no body can connect to it
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: AP Mode or Router

Generally, people are better off if there is only a single "router".  I, myself, had my Orbi in router mode connected to another router for over a year and had no problems at all, UNTIL I wanted to set up VPN and found it could not work.  Netgear has an explanation of some of the situations which this "Double NAT" can cause: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

So, putting the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode will certainly prevent any of those future problems.

As to whether it will "cure" the printer issue, I am puzzled.  Honestly, I can think of no reason why powering on a printer that is connected with ethernet should have any effect on an Orbi WiFi.  (Or, why moving the printer to the primary router would help in any way.)

Does this printer have one of those "Print to me over WiFi" features?

Message 2 of 7
adamgood_10
Aspirant

It has wireless printing from a mobile device and the orbi is connected to a 2-1 modem/router
Message 3 of 7
theoak
Luminary

With Router mode you have things like Armour and Circle that I don't think are available via AP mode.  In AP mode you must have another "router".  It all depends how much you need the features and services provided by the Orbi in router mode.  If you have a router that has the same/more/better features, then throw the Orbi in AP mode and you are golden.

Message 4 of 7
adamgood_10
Aspirant

Will AP Mode let me use my printer on wifi if it connected to the original router
Message 5 of 7
adamgood_10
Aspirant

Am I able to CONNECT my DESKTOP and PRINTER to my ORIGINAL ROUTER and the CONNECT my WIRELESS DEVICES to the ORBI and be able to PRINT to the PRINTER WIRELESSLY on the ORBI wifi?

Would I put it in AP MODE?
Would I change IP addresses to be the same?
Can someone walk me through this
Message 6 of 7
theoak
Luminary

Yes, I have a wireless HP printer and print to that all the time with my Orbi system in AP mode.  I do give my printer a static IP.  That way when my router and/or Orbi system reboots (via me, power outtage, some other reason), the printer always gets the same IP and hence, my devices, where with some I have to hard code the printer IP address, always can get to the printer.  That static IP address is managed/set via my router, which in my case, is not my Orbi.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7