Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AT&T MicroCell randomly disconnects using Orbi

russellmoran99
Luminary

AT&T MicroCell randomly disconnects using Orbi

I have an AT&T MIcrocell which is plugged into the Orbi Router firmware 1.8xxx to boost my AT&T signal.  If you are not sure what a microcell is, it is designed for homes that have weak signal to boost if using wifi.  When it works, it is perfect.  The problem is since I have installed Orbi it doesn't work properly.  If I make or receive a call the Microcell seems to work fine as long as I stay in 1 location. If I walk around my house, I lose the Microcell signal.  My phone disconnects from the microcell.  It happens with all phones in my house.

I believe this to be a Orbi issue.  I think when I walk around the house I pickup a new Orbi satellite (I have 3 so far) and that's when I believe I lose the signal on the Microcell. 

Anyone else have a problem like this and a solution?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: AT&T MicroCell randomly disconnects using Orbi

Hello Russellmoran99

I do not understand why wifi would interfere with the microcell since it puts out its own phone signal and wouldn't be using the wifi. I would try turning off the wifi on your phone and test it out again.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
MarkC1024
Luminary

I doubt it interferes, but most likely when moving between router/satellites the disconnect/reconnect is dropping his call.  The microcell probably isn't designed for it's connection/signal to be "handed off".

Message 3 of 6
russellmoran99
Luminary

Correct, that is what my guess is as well. Is there any way to fix this?
Message 4 of 6
MarkC1024
Luminary

It's hard to say which end of the problem needs fixing.  I'd start wth AT&T and ask them if their device can operate in an environment like Orbi, and examples if where it does.

Message 5 of 6
MarkC1024
Luminary

My previous assumptions about the microcell having a hard time with hand-offs might be off as it's generating it's own broadcast signal.  However, the follow thread shows some promise:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/AT-amp-T-MicroCell-keeps-disconnecting/td-p/...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7