Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AT&T Uverse Cable Not Working With Orbi RBK50 (AC3000)

TeamLevine
Aspirant

AT&T Uverse Cable Not Working With Orbi RBK50 (AC3000)

When connected through my Orbi RBK50, my AT&T Uverse cable is not working. Does anyone know how to get all Uverse receivers working properly with the Orbi router (NOT in AP mode) based on the setup below?

See Attached Network Map Diagram

• If an AT&T receiver is connected directly to AT&T's Pace router/modem, the receiver works fine.
  • If an AT&T receiver is connected via my Orbi router, I'm able to watch SD channels however unable to watch any HD channels. The HD channels will come on for approx. 15 seconds, then lose signal and display the screen suggesting I reboot the receiver. After I reboot the receiver, the channel will come on for about 15 seconds again, then lose signal.

I CANNOT run Orbi in AP mode. Using Circle Go to manage our kid's devices is a key reason I selected the Orbi vs a different mesh system.

I have 4 AT&T Uverse receivers located in 4 different rooms throughout our 2-story home. The AT&T fiber optic line comes into the house via our 1st Floor Media Room to an AT&T Pace 5268AC router/modem. The AT&T router/modem connects to a Netgear GS116Ev2 switch. From this switch I connect to the Orbi router, which then connects back to the switch. This switch then distributes to the rest of my home network, connecting to a Netgear GS108 in each room (1st Floor Living Room, 2nd Floor Bedroom, 2nd Floor Office).

Each room has various devices - TV's, Apple TV, gaming devices, Philips Hue, etc. Within each room is a Uverse receiver. Because of this setup, except for the Media Room where AT&T's fiber comes in...it's impossible to connect the Uverse boxes directly to the AT&T Pace router/modem.

The problem is NOT that I'm set up this way. Prior to getting Orbi, the Pace router/modem was connected directly to the Netgear switch in the Media Room, then distributed to the Netgear switches throughout the house (Pace->Switch 1->Switch 2->Uverse Receiver). Our Uverse cable receivers worked fine with that setup. It was introducing the Orbi that caused this issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Network MapNetwork Map

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Option #2 would be your best option.

ALSO:

Disable IGMP on Managed Switches with your GS116v2:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1553749/highlight/true#M30673
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Using-Router-Configured-as-Access-Point-Cannot-see-Satellites-...

Message 2 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

FURRYe38... My apologies if I wasn't more clear re the specific issue...

Other than my Uverse cable TV not working, my Orbi network is functioning very well. The Pace router/modem has delegated network management to Orbi and all of my internal IP addresses are 10.0.0.X.

I've attached a device list from my Pace router/modem - the router is listed as it should be (I'm assuming). The "uverse_NODE..." is the Uverse receiver in the Media Room connected directly to the Pace (only possible to do this in the Media Room). Since it's connected to the Pace it's working fine.

Also attached a partial device list for the Orbi. As you can see, most of the devices I reference on the Network Map are shown here. The devices highlighted in yellow are the other Uverse receivers in the other rooms that are not working.

Let me know if any addt'l info will help you to help me! Thx!!!!

Devices on the Pace Router/ModemDevices on the Pace Router/ModemDevices on the Orbi NetworkDevices on the Orbi Network

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try try this first?

Pace->Orbi router<GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver 1

<GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver 2

<GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver 3

Thus remove the GS116E switch entirely...

Is the modem in router mode or is it bridged?

The other test would be to try this:

Pace->Orbi router>GS116E Switch><GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver 1

GS116E Switch><GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver 2

GS116E Switch><GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver 3

Message 4 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

Pace->Orbi router>GS116E Switch><GS108 Switch ->Uverse Receiver X is how I currently have it set up. Is there a change here you want me to try I'm not seeing?

I'm 99% sure I tried going from Pace->Orbi->GS108 Switches. I'll try that again tonight and report back!

The Pace modem doesn't allow for "bridging". When I configured the network for Orbi the Pace recognized I was attempting to establish a new router, and confirmed it was handing off router management to the Orbi. I've read some other posts about putting it in DMZ-Plus mode (supposedly best equivalent to bridge mode), but I've also seen some posts saying not to do that. Thoughts?

Message 5 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the configuration with out the GS116 switch in the mix. I would do this, if you can, bring one of the GS108 switches and 1 of the Receivers in to the same room as the Orbi router. Connect them there if you can as this will be easier to test with to see if you can get the reciever working, then place back in remote location. If this is possible.

DMZ would be helpful in this case. 2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Reason being is that your in a double NAT condition:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Also what program did you use to create your network map?

Message 7 of 27
lbal
Apprentice

I assume that all switches have been power cycled since changing the config on the PACE modem to work with Orbi?  I only ask as there could be ARP entries within the switch that is trying to send traffic back to your old config.  Are there also any static routing configs on the GS116 switch from your old config setup (assuming you are using the switch in managed mode)?  Curious to see what we find here on this one as I used to have ATT and their bridge mode was hard to get working.  May have to ask ATT as well if latest firmware is pushed out to the PACE modem.  In trying to remember this one...there was an update coming on the PACE modems as there was a bug I believe.  Just food for thought and hoping to help!

Message 8 of 27
waynealight
Apprentice

a couple things.

your pace modem only has the ability to put a single client into dmz plus mode.  assign the mac address to the orbi and it will directly forward all traffic to this router and assign it a proper wan address

second according to your drawing, you have 2 routers trying to assign dhcp on the same network.  you need to hook the orbi directly to the modem, then to the switch.  lastly ensure upnp is enabled on the orbi, and you may have to add a few port forwarding rules for uverse but it shouldnt be a big deal.

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

The poster has already moved the Orbi router behind the modem.

The DMZ would work for the Orbi since he needs to have the orbi router run in router mode.

Lets see how his new configuration tests results work out this weekend.

Message 10 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

For whatever reason board hasn't been letting me post this reply. Been trying since last Friday. Seeing if posting as image works...Post from TeamLevine.png

Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Try pasting plain text, no hyperlinks or embedded code...

I see the picture as been approved...

Message 12 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

Testing...is this simple reply working?

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes it is...

So looking at what you sent me in a PM,

• Pace -->Orbi --> U-verse = NO GOOD
  • Pace --> Orbi --> GS108 --> U-verse = NO GOOD

This is is bad. Either way these should be working thru the Orib.

You can try this:

Pace -->Orbi AP mode --> U-verse = ?

Take the Orbi routers IP address out fo the DMZ on the PACE. Save settings and reboot everything.

I presume if this still fails, you should make contact with NG support AND the mfr of this Uverse system your using. Ask them if they have encountered any problems or have any information on using there devices with a Orbi system in this kind of configuration. Show them your information you've posted here.

Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

BTW I'm using FF v60.0.1 browser for these forums.

Message 15 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

I'll try switching to AP mode. It'll be good info to know if it works, but I'm using the Circle Go parental controls so ultimately it needs to work as a router.

In AP mode the Pace wifi needs to be turned back on, right?

Message 16 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

I did all my original postings on Safari, and my simple replies are working, so it should be working that way. I'll give Firefox a try...

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

NO, do not turn on the wireless on the PACE.

Also wondering if this Circle app could be causing problems...Smiley Frustrated

Message 18 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

Don't think so. I didn't activate Circle until couple weeks after initial setup, and been having this issue since initial...

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for confirming that.

Let us know the AP mode results.

Message 20 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

Possibly good news...Uverse cable is working with Orbi in AP mode! This also means I'm unable to use the Circle parental control within the Orbi, and I need to manage the network using AT&T's interface which stinks. Is there a way to pinpoint the router/AP mode difference to make Uverse work with Orbi in router mode?

Also, after changing the various settings above, before switching to AP mode...my wireless speeds significantly decreased. In the corner areas where I was getting 30-50 mps, I'm getting 1-5 now, and in the main areas where I was getting 150-275 mps, I'm getting 30-40 now...with a higher ping and lots of variability and jitter while the speedtest runs. Thoughts on what might need to be reverted to fix this?

Also...on the Orbi are the settings below ok?

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that a double NAT condition is having an effect on your devices.

So if you re-configure the orbi for router mode, place it's IP address it gets from the ISP modem into the modems DMZ, this doesn't help make the Uverse devices work? No switches in the mix...With out having the Pace modem bridged, I believe you maybe stuck with AP mode with the Orbi in this configuration with your UVerse devices...

Message 22 of 27
TeamLevine
Aspirant

This issue is pushing a bit past my tech knowledge so apologies if any of this is nonsensical or redundant…

AP Mode Concerns:

I reconfigured for the Orbi to run as AP last night. As of this morning I’m seeing a few instances of WiFi disconnecting then slowly reconnecting from network - more than just a quick disconnection moment. Maybe the new Orbi as AP configurations need some time to settle down, but a bit concerned if this is going to be a problem. This in addition to the slower wifi speeds I’m seeing could be bad enough to be unacceptable (Circle parental control is, to be reasonable, “just” a feature issue vs these potential service issues).

Pace Configurations Review:

FURRYe38 - I’m sending DM various screenshots of my Pace configuration. These are the configurations when Pace was set to DMZ-Plus to the Orbi as a router. If you wouldn’t mind reviewing them to see if anything sticks out as possibly incorrectly/inefficiently configured?

FURRYe38’s Questions:

Q:  “So if you re-configure the orbi for router mode, place it's IP address it gets from the ISP modem into the modems DMZ, this doesn't help make the U-verse devices work?”

A:  Correct. Under this configuration the issue is clearly observed to be “via Pace = OK, via Orbi = NOT OK”.

Q:  “No switches in the mix”
A:  The two types of switches I use (Netgear GS108/GS116) are the only ones in the network. Orbi as router, when U-verse connected through Orbi, tested both with and without those switches came up with U-verse cable not working. When Orbi is router, U-verse cable only works if plugged directly into Pace.

Re NAT:

You mention double NAT… Want to make sure I understand you and you understand what I have on my end. In the testing I’ve done so far there has only been one active router at a time. It’s been either “Pace set to DMZ-Plus and Orbi as router” or “Pace set to router and Orbi as AP”. Wouldn’t a double NAT be if, for example, I set up a cascaded router via the Pace 5268? I haven’t touched that feature on the Pace yet. Below is screenshot of that Pace config screen. If something to consider I’ll need a bit of help doing that.

Different Modem/Router?:

What about using a different modem/router instead of the Pace 5268AC? No idea about any of these, but on dslreports I saw references to 2Wire/Pace 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, 5268AC or Motorola/Arris NVG589/NVG599. These or another a potential option?

Different Provider?:

Lastly - at least I think! - in about 3 months my initial contract with AT&T will expire. I’ll have the option then to either stay with AT&T, or go with a different provider. Options in my area are Infinity, DirectTV and U-verse. When it comes to this issue I’m having is either Infinity or DirectTV a better/great choice?

Again…thanks a TON for the help on this! I know I’ve been asking a lot of you!

Cascading Router ConfigCascading Router Config

Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

@TeamLevine wrote:

This issue is pushing a bit past my tech knowledge so apologies if any of this is nonsensical or redundant…

AP Mode Concerns:

I reconfigured for the Orbi to run as AP last night. As of this morning I’m seeing a few instances of WiFi disconnecting then slowly reconnecting from network - more than just a quick disconnection moment. Maybe the new Orbi as AP configurations need some time to settle down, but a bit concerned if this is going to be a problem. This in addition to the slower wifi speeds I’m seeing could be bad enough to be unacceptable (Circle parental control is, to be reasonable, “just” a feature issue vs these potential service issues).

Possible that there is and issue with Circle enabled and it's not getting disabled after changing to AP mode. Something to see if you can disable while in router mode, then change to AP mode.

Pace Configurations Review:

FURRYe38 - I’m sending DM various screenshots of my Pace configuration. These are the configurations when Pace was set to DMZ-Plus to the Orbi as a router. If you wouldn’t mind reviewing them to see if anything sticks out as possibly incorrectly/inefficiently configured?

Will check them out when the picture gets approved.

FURRYe38’s Questions:

Q:  “So if you re-configure the orbi for router mode, place it's IP address it gets from the ISP modem into the modems DMZ, this doesn't help make the U-verse devices work?”

A:  Correct. Under this configuration the issue is clearly observed to be “via Pace = OK, via Orbi = NOT OK”.

Q:  “No switches in the mix”
A:  The two types of switches I use (Netgear GS108/GS116) are the only ones in the network. Orbi as router, when U-verse connected through Orbi, tested both with and without those switches came up with U-verse cable not working. When Orbi is router, U-verse cable only works if plugged directly into Pace.

Ok.

Re NAT:

You mention double NAT… Want to make sure I understand you and you understand what I have on my end. In the testing I’ve done so far there has only been one active router at a time. It’s been either “Pace set to DMZ-Plus and Orbi as router” or “Pace set to router and Orbi as AP”. Wouldn’t a double NAT be if, for example, I set up a cascaded router via the Pace 5268? I haven’t touched that feature on the Pace yet. Below is screenshot of that Pace config screen. If something to consider I’ll need a bit of help doing that.

Your in a double nat condition with the Pace and Orbi acting in router modes. Something to ask ATT about and see if they can give some info about connecting another router to there system.

Different Modem/Router?:

What about using a different modem/router instead of the Pace 5268AC? No idea about any of these, but on dslreports I saw references to 2Wire/Pace 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, 5268AC or Motorola/Arris NVG589/NVG599. These or another a potential option?

Recommended to have a stand alone modem if possible, however if you have additional TV or Phone services with the ISP, it may not be possible. Are these UVerse devices appart of the ATTs media service or something you added?

Different Provider?:

Lastly - at least I think! - in about 3 months my initial contract with AT&T will expire. I’ll have the option then to either stay with AT&T, or go with a different provider. Options in my area are Infinity, DirectTV and U-verse. When it comes to this issue I’m having is either Infinity or DirectTV a better/great choice?

Cable would be preferred. With cable you can by your own modem, as long as it's on the ISPs supported modems list. Then you can get you a stand alone modem and will probably avoid all of this.

Again…thanks a TON for the help on this! I know I’ve been asking a lot of you!

Cascading Router ConfigCascading Router Config

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Lastly, how about running ALL the Uverse devices directly to the Pace, connecting ALL other devices to the Orbi router while it's in Router mode and in the modems DMZ.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7