Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AT&T Wifi Calling

ekhalil
Master

Re: AT&T Wifi Calling

I suggest to try different wifi channels for the 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. It seems that you have disturbances on the 2.4 GHz band in the kitchen, maybe from the microwave oven or something else.
Message 26 of 71
CrimpOn
Guru

This is (yet) another factor that might be in play, except that back in message 22 he said the phones were connected to the 5G band.

Microwave interference on the 2.4G band is fairly well known.  On the 5G band, I'm not so certain.

Message 27 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

We dont own a microwave.

I have been running Wifi Analyzer in the kitchen and it shows the interference as shown in the attached screenshot (couldnt figure out how to post a picture?)

Its then suggesting better channels would be "9+13" or "13+9" but I dont understand what that means?  Those arent single channels...sorry if that should be obvious

Message 28 of 71
CrimpOn
Guru

There should also be a screen for the 5G band.

Message 29 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Attached for 5G.

Can these settings be changed from the Orbi App?

Looks like Advanced Settings can only by changed via PC login?

Also noticing that it is recommending channels like 157 but Orbi doesnt allow for anything more than 48?

Message 30 of 71
ekhalil
Master

@WPJoe wrote:

Its then suggesting better channels would be "9+13" or "13+9" but I dont understand what that means?  Those arent single channels...sorry if that should be obvious

• Which network is yours in this graph, is it the OBADLG? Why do you have 2 networks if you don't have satellites?
  • Looks from the graph that you are using channel 6 currently, and that channel is pretty busy as seen on the graph. Please try channel 11.
  • Which channels are available in Orbi in your country, in the settings in the web GUI?
  • You can't use the Orbi app to change channels, you need to use the web GUI.
  • Does the same issue happen in all your phones? What type of phones are you using in your household? I think the phone should choose LTE or 3G radio when the quality of the wifi radio is bad. If it does not do that then it seems that the phone does not have the correct threasholds to correctly select the radios.
Message 31 of 71
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

This is (yet) another factor that might be in play, except that back in message 22 he said the phones were connected to the 5G band.

Microwave interference on the 2.4G band is fairly well known.  On the 5G band, I'm not so certain.

I meant that the phone should switch from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz in the kitchen, but it seems that interference on the 2.4 GHz in the kitchen is not allowing this so the phone stays on the 5 GHz band. This is what I think.

Message 32 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Im not sure why its showing 2.  ABove I asked why I was seeing 4 OBADLG's and someone said there are two each for 2.4 and 5...so I thought maybe thats why?

Here in the US, my choices max out at 11 channels for 2.4 and channel 48 for 5 Mhz

Message 33 of 71
ekhalil
Master

@WPJoe wrote:

Im not sure why its showing 2.  ABove I asked why I was seeing 4 OBADLG's and someone said there are two each for 2.4 and 5...so I thought maybe thats why?

Here in the US, my choices max out at 11 channels for 2.4 and channel 48 for 5 Mhz

You don't have a satellite so you should only see 1 x 2.4 GHz channel and 1 x 5 GHz channels belonging to the main network.

Do you happen to have the Guest network SSID same as the main network?

Message 34 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Well....this is embarassing!

After your post I went to investigate.  My son had originally set up this network and it turns out I was incorrect.  We do have a second Orbi!  It i sin the basement which is underneath the kitchen.  Which must be what were seeing.

I imagine that opens up different issues that could be affecting why I lose the Wifi coverage in the kitchen and different settings I need to check?

Really sorry for that idiotic oversight 😞

Message 35 of 71
CrimpOn
Guru

This second Orbi has the identical WiFi name (SSID) and password as the primary Orbi?

Or, is this another satellite off the primary Orbi router?

(I understand the situation is stressful for you, but it is a welcome distraction for some of us.  "Why" and "How" are questions we enjoy.)

Message 36 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Haha well thanks for making me feel a little less bad for leading you on a wild goose chase.

I think the second orbi has the same SSID and pw?  I think it was set up as a satellite - it shows up as "Connected Satellites" under the Attached Devices tab on the Orbilogin. It says "Orbi Router" under the column titled "Connected Orbi" and it says tehe Backhaul Status is Good.

But I dont want to share the wrong ifo (again) so is there something I should be doing to check and give you a more precise answer?

As you can see it looks like in the kitchen it has almost  the same signal strength as the primary router...

Message 37 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

I am also now seeing three durves that all seem associated with my WIFI as far as I can tell?

The Yellow one was not overlapping yesterday and its unlabeled...not sure what it is?

Message 38 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Trying to restart this - do you guys think that the overlap of the two 5GHz networks from the Orbi and from its satellite is causing the issues I may be having with WIFI Calling in that room?  And if so is there anything I can do to manage that?

Message 39 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM should be enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling the following and see:
Fast Roaming, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Otherwise it's up to the connecting devices to pick and choose the signals they connect too. Also some may not have any roaming support as well. 

@WPJoe wrote:

Trying to restart this - do you guys think that the overlap of the two 5GHz networks from the Orbi and from its satellite is causing the issues I may be having with WIFI Calling in that room?  And if so is there anything I can do to manage that?

Message 40 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Thanks so much for this reply I really appreciate it.

I did change to those settings as you suggested on the main router, but I never rebooted the satellite.  So I will do that.

All of the satellite settings are managed by the settings of the rrouter correct?  Also someone asked if the satellite has the same SSID as the router...I think thats automatically the case?

Message 41 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes RBS settings are managed by the RBR and Yes the RBS should have same SSID name. You can check this by logging into the RBS web page using the IP address give to by the RBR. 

@WPJoe wrote:

Thanks so much for this reply I really appreciate it.

I did change to those settings as you suggested on the main router, but I never rebooted the satellite.  So I will do that.

All of the satellite settings are managed by the settings of the rrouter correct?  Also someone asked if the satellite has the same SSID as the router...I think thats automatically the case?

Message 42 of 71
ekhalil
Master

@WPJoeHave you tried changing the radio channels as suggested? What radio channels do you currently have set in Orbi for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands please?

Message 43 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Yes I did make those changes - currently operating on channels 11 & 48

Message 44 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

@FURRYe38 - my routers are more than 30 feet apart.  they are on two different levels of my house.  but my house isnt that large (~2500 sq ft) and the kitchen is probably about halfway between the router and satellite.

In researching this issue I had read that in these circumstances I should NOT activate Fast Roaming as its really more for larger, more spread out networks.  

Just wanted to confirm - you think I should try activating it?

Message 45 of 71
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for the info.

You can enable Fast roaming to see whether it changes anything or not. If not, then you can always disable Fast Roaming. 

@WPJoe wrote:

@FURRYe38 - my routers are more than 30 feet apart.  they are on two different levels of my house.  but my house isnt that large (~2500 sq ft) and the kitchen is probably about halfway between the router and satellite.

In researching this issue I had read that in these circumstances I should NOT activate Fast Roaming as its really more for larger, more spread out networks.  

Just wanted to confirm - you think I should try activating it?

Message 46 of 71
ekhalil
Master

1. Does the same issue happen in all your phones? What type of phones are you using in your household? I think the phone should choose LTE or 3G radio when the quality of the wifi radio is bad. If it does not do that then it seems that the phone does not have the correct threasholds to correctly select the radios.
2. In the phone settings for wifi calling, is the any setting if 4G or wifi calling is preferred?
3. If you disable wifi on the phone does it then connect to 4G (LTE) or 3G?
Message 47 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Yes this happens on both my Galaxy S9 and my wife's iPhone.

The issue is we have weak wireless coverage in our home that goes in and out constantly, so we use Wifi Calling.  I dont know exactly how AT&Ts WIFI calling works.  On my phone its eihter On or Off but I dont see a settings for it.

If you disable WIFI it will try to connect to 4G but the coverage is often very spotty.

The WIFI Calling is working.  It sometimes goes in and out a little bit around the house (even though the WIFI signal is strong) and there is one room in particular (our kitchen) where it is consistently very bad.

Message 48 of 71
ekhalil
Master

1. So is Wifi Calling working correctly in areas with good wifi coverage?
  2. Do you have the possibility to move around the Orbi Router and Satellite to improve the wifi coverage in the kitchen? I think that you should find a good positioning for optimum coverage all over the house.
Message 49 of 71
WPJoe
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is not that I dont have good coverage in the kitchen.  The coverage is strong.

But there seems to be something in the settings or the overlapping of the two Orbi networks in the mesh that is causing issues with the WIFI working in that room...

Message 50 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 70 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7