Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ATT Fiber

DalWild
Follower

ATT Fiber

I recently converted from uverse to ATT Fiber, which involved a modem change to an Arris BGW210-700.  I’m really struggling trying to get Orbi reconnected properly.  I enabled passthrough mode on the Arris modem, but kept both wifi (2.4 and 5.0) "On" on the modem.  Orbi works fine for about a day, but then I have trouble accessing some sites and I get a popup screen on the Edge browser that says

The Server {website} is asking for your user name and password.  The server also reports: NETGEAR Orbi”.   And there’s a place to enter a user name and password.  The site I’m trying to access doesn’t require credentials – it’s a neighborhood webpage.  This happens on some other sites (fantasy football) as well.  Other sites load perfectly (CNN, ESPN, USAToday, etc.)

If I reboot the Orbi, everything is fine for about a day, but then the issue recurs.  I read up online and a recommendation was to disable the wifi on the Arris modem, which I did.  Rebooted the modem, plugged Orbi into the Ethernet jack on the modem and restarted Orbi.  Now I’m getting the popup on those pages constantly, even after rebooting Orbi.

The ring on the Orbi is dark, but what’s odd is on the iPhone app\Network Map, the Orbi RBR50 router has a magenta dot next to it.  The satellite has a green dot.

So it seems my only option is to reenable the wifi channels on the modem and to deal with having to reboot Orbi every day?  Plus, I have no idea if the wifi traffic is going through the modem or Orbi if the wifi on the modem is on since both the Orbi and the modem show all the devices connected to both.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Just turning off the wifi doesn't put it in pass through mode. I've read a few reviews on that specific ATT box and it seems most are struggling with this mode on the device. You can continue to try to configure it to try to get it working right. Here's an thread from ATT but there's also a contact number in the thread with an ATT # to call for help.

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Strict-NAT-Bridge-Mode-What-is-IP-Passthrough-Can-...

What might be the easiest for you is to leave the ATT box as a router (disable wifi) and utilize access point mode with the orbi. You will lose some functionality of the orbi but will maintain its wifi coverage and the use of ethernet ports without issues. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to try AP mode on the Orbi as well to see if this works for you if you can't get the ISP Fiber to work well for you. 

@DalWild wrote:

I recently converted from uverse to ATT Fiber, which involved a modem change to an Arris BGW210-700.  I’m really struggling trying to get Orbi reconnected properly.  I enabled passthrough mode on the Arris modem, but kept both wifi (2.4 and 5.0) "On" on the modem.  Orbi works fine for about a day, but then I have trouble accessing some sites and I get a popup screen on the Edge browser that says

The Server {website} is asking for your user name and password.  The server also reports: NETGEAR Orbi”.   And there’s a place to enter a user name and password.  The site I’m trying to access doesn’t require credentials – it’s a neighborhood webpage.  This happens on some other sites (fantasy football) as well.  Other sites load perfectly (CNN, ESPN, USAToday, etc.)

If I reboot the Orbi, everything is fine for about a day, but then the issue recurs.  I read up online and a recommendation was to disable the wifi on the Arris modem, which I did.  Rebooted the modem, plugged Orbi into the Ethernet jack on the modem and restarted Orbi.  Now I’m getting the popup on those pages constantly, even after rebooting Orbi.

The ring on the Orbi is dark, but what’s odd is on the iPhone app\Network Map, the Orbi RBR50 router has a magenta dot next to it.  The satellite has a green dot.

So it seems my only option is to reenable the wifi channels on the modem and to deal with having to reboot Orbi every day?  Plus, I have no idea if the wifi traffic is going through the modem or Orbi if the wifi on the modem is on since both the Orbi and the modem show all the devices connected to both.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7