Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: About MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming on RBK50

100won
Star

About MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming on RBK50

Hi,

My system network:

ISP -> pfsense router -> Orbi RBK50 (AP MODE).

I have 2 ISPs: 150Mbps + 50Mbps and load balancing dual-wan 150Mbps + 50Mbps = 200Mbps.

I have some problems, sent email to netgear support from 8 days ago but they have not replied me.

1.  If I plug cat6 into WAN port, purple led does not display but my internet speed reach maximum is 90Mbps.
  2.  If I plug cat6 into LAN port, purple led display and my internet speed reach maximum 200Mbps. I want to disable purple led.
  3. At Advanced - Advanced Setup - Wireless Settings: I enable BEAMFORMING or/and MU-MIMO or/and fast roaming (that mean if I enable one of features or two of features or all). My internet speed reach 90Mbps

So, I googled that MU-MIMO should enable if many devices connect to network. And fast roaming will roam to strong wifi speed faster. But if I enable, my internet speed reach only 90Mbps.

Please help.

//I tested firmware 2.3.5.30 and 2.5.1.8 same problem.

At firmware 2.3.5.30 we have: Basic - Add Orbi Satellite, Basic - Attached Devices - Icon & connected device name.

At firmware 2.5.1.8 doesn't have anything.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the 90mb speed is clear.  What is not clear is how this can be possible.  Since MY Orbi is in router mode, I do know with 100% certainty what shows up on the Advanced Tab, Internet, "Connection Status".  I have only a modem, so it is impossible for me to put my Orbi into AP mode to verify that the display is the same.  It "should be", so I am 99% certain, but not 100%

What does your Orbi "Connection Status" show when the Cat6 cable is plugged into the WAN port?

If it shows 1,000mb (as it should) then "I got nothin".

If it shows 100mb, then a speed of 90mb is entirely reasonable.  And, no, I have no idea WHY it would show 100mb when we all know it should show as 1,000mb.

To make the magenta light go out, the Orbi needs to be connected using the WAN port.

Only the LAN port will get 200mb, and the magenta light stays on.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming have nothing to do with the internet connection.  They affect how WiFi devices interact with the Orbi(s).  Generally, the device has to be compatible for the option to have any effect.

Orbi is designed to connect to a router using the WAN (yellow) port.  If there is nothing connected to that port, the magenta ring will light up. (I like purple, but Netgear calls it magenta.)

As far as the Speedtest performance, this situation is WAY out of my competence.  The Open Source firewall "pfsense" apparently can attach to two ISP's and do wonderful things.  How it "load balances" something like Speedtest might have something to do with the results.

This is only a guess on my part, but higher performance when connected to using a LAN port may be a result of the LAN ports being a gigabit switch, whereas traffic through the WAN port is processed to some degree internally in the Orbi.  How is the Speedtest being performed?  (a) using a feature on the Orbi, or (b) using a device connected to another Orbi LAN port?

Message 2 of 10
100won
Star

Hi,
Thank you for your response.

All devices connect to orbi via wifi. Speed 702Mbps.

At AP MODE:
I test via speed test on rbr50, 90Mbps/90Mbps (down/up) if i plug cat6 into WAN port.
I change to LAN port, speed test show 200Mbps/200Mbps.
I tried to disable fast roaming, beamforming, mu-mimo, speed show 200Mbps. Enable one of features, speed show 90Mbps.
Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, I got nothing.  Only hypothesis is that somehow the LAN ports and "local" WiFi (same Orbi device) do not work the same.

(My Orbi is in router mode, so I am not confident about this, but...) When you look on the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, on the right side under "Internet" there is a box "Connection Status".  Does it show the CAT 6 cable as 1,000MB when it is plugged into the WAN port and into the LAN port?

Message 4 of 10
100won
Star

I'm talking about AP MODE, if cat6 was plugged into wan port, internet speed reaches 90Mbps.
Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the 90mb speed is clear.  What is not clear is how this can be possible.  Since MY Orbi is in router mode, I do know with 100% certainty what shows up on the Advanced Tab, Internet, "Connection Status".  I have only a modem, so it is impossible for me to put my Orbi into AP mode to verify that the display is the same.  It "should be", so I am 99% certain, but not 100%

What does your Orbi "Connection Status" show when the Cat6 cable is plugged into the WAN port?

If it shows 1,000mb (as it should) then "I got nothin".

If it shows 100mb, then a speed of 90mb is entirely reasonable.  And, no, I have no idea WHY it would show 100mb when we all know it should show as 1,000mb.

To make the magenta light go out, the Orbi needs to be connected using the WAN port.

Only the LAN port will get 200mb, and the magenta light stays on.

Message 6 of 10
gr8sho
Virtuoso

According to Netgear support page, AP Mode connection is LAN port on host router to WAN port on RBR50,  This is how mine is setup as well.

Message 7 of 10
100won
Star

Hi~

I checked WAN port again, it's dirty Smiley Frustrated

Thank you very much. Cat Tongue

Love you so much Heart

Message 8 of 10
100won
Star

Hi CrimpOn, I was kidding you.

With AP MODE, you can not plug cat6 into WAN PORT. It only reach 90Mbps. 1,000Mbps goes down to 100Mbps. I tried many cable. That's true.

With AP MODE, you must to plug cat6 into LAN PORT. It will reach full speed.

I hope Netgear supporters add features turn on/off LED and turn manual / auto update firmware.

And Display icon & Device name on attached devices tab.

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

We need humor on the forum.  Sorry to be so 'fixated' on this one point.  So, when the Cat6 cable is plugged into the WAN port, the "Connection Status" web page actually shows the WAN port at 100mb?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7