Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: About printer through ORBI

77PALE77
Apprentice

About printer through ORBI

Hi guys,

I recently extended my wi-fi with ORBI. Let’s call the original wi-fi WIFI1. ORBI is connected to the WIFI1 modem via ethernet with its IP (192.168.1.100) and generates a new wi-fi signal: let’s call it WIFI2. ORBI has a different class of IP’s (10.0.0.x). I have a printer connected via WPS to WIFI1 with its IP address 192.168.1.108. It only works if a device is connected to WIFI1. 

Is there any way to use it connecting a device to WIFI2 and routing the connection to the printer in some way?

Thanks a lot

Pale77 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
77PALE77
Apprentice

Thanks a lot, it now works fine.

I only had followed the setup instructions and it had set as two routers one after the other.

Now it is in AP mode and the only one anomaly is that I connected to the ORBI router an audio device via ethernet and it isn't shown within the connected devices. Strangely it is shown with 192.168.1.106 IP in the modem/router, but anyway it works fine.

But in AP mode it seems impossible to remotely access the ORBI (te selectioni s shown in grey and cannot be activated): is that right?

Thanks again

Pale77

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

What device(s) are attempting to use the printer from the Orbi Wi-Fi?  (i.e. desktops, laptops, PC, Apple, tablets? etc.)

I think the problem will "go away" if the Orbi is set into Access Point (AP) mode.  On the Advanced tab, select Advanced Setup, select Router/AP Mode.  In general, it is not a good practice to stack one router behind another.  When every device is getting an IP address directly from the first WiFi router, devices should "find" the printer with no problem.

Message 2 of 8
77PALE77
Apprentice

Thanks a lot, it now works fine.

I only had followed the setup instructions and it had set as two routers one after the other.

Now it is in AP mode and the only one anomaly is that I connected to the ORBI router an audio device via ethernet and it isn't shown within the connected devices. Strangely it is shown with 192.168.1.106 IP in the modem/router, but anyway it works fine.

But in AP mode it seems impossible to remotely access the ORBI (te selectioni s shown in grey and cannot be activated): is that right?

Thanks again

Pale77

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When in AP mode, some features like remote access are no longer enabled. 

Message 4 of 8
77PALE77
Apprentice

Thanks for the answer, now it’s clear.
But what about the device connected to the ethernet port which is invisible to the Orbi?

Pale77
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@77PALE77 wrote:
But what about the device connected to the ethernet port which is invisible to the Orbi?

I have several devices that do not show up constantly on the "Attached Devices" display.  (Nest thermostat is one.)  What I have discovered is that when they are "doing something", they pop up on the display.  But, when they go quiet again, they disappear.  When the audio streaming device is invisible, is it actually "on" and streaming?  My test for the Nest was actually sort of fun.  I would open Attached Devices, verify that the Nest was not there, and then open the Nest app on my phone.  Wow, there it is!  As long as the Nest app was open, the thermostat remained on the display.  Shut down the app and within a few minutes, Nest disappears.  Did it several times until the wife said, "what the heck are you doing?"

Or, it could be something else.  I am frequently incorrect.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chain enabled? Try with it disabled. 

@77PALE77 wrote:

Pale77

Message 7 of 8
randomousity
Luminary

Since having two routers working in router mode is generally bad, and double-NAT can cause problems, you're best off either leaving the Orbi in AP mode and using the modem/router as your router, or, alternatively, putting the modem in bridge mode (terminology varies by model), so that it's only a modem for practical purposes, and then using the Orbi in router mode. Which way you do it depends on which one has better features, etc. If, for example, remote management is important to you, and the modem doesn't offer that, then I'd put the modem in bridge mode and use the Orbi in router mode.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7