Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Absolute Dismay

Mark_L
Tutor

Absolute Dismay

I am extremely saddened to discover that the only option that I have for support after only 7 months is a paid service.  I paid, I think about $500 for an RBR50 and 2 RBS50s and now I can't speak to somebody.  This is pathetic!!

So for the last 7 months, things have generally been fine.  I think that Disney Circle may be causing memory issues, but I've learned to live with that.  Today, I noticed some poor service.  I opened the mobile Orbi App and noticed that both of my satellites were offline.  In the Web Interface, they show as waiting for connection.  Oh and these have wired back haul, and I am currently using the LAN ports of the satellites fine.  My f/w version is listed as v2.5.0.38, and this version doesn't even show up on this website.  I mean I just don't get it with this company. 

I got a survey request when I started this thread that I agreed to.  I filled it out and wrote that I think that this service and terrible and that I would not be buying any additional NetGear products.  I clicked submit, and it returned a server error.  Unbelievable!!

All that I really want to know is when was this f/w released and is this a bug?  I am about to a) try a factory reset b) go purchase a new non-NetGear mesh set up and start blasting them in reviews.

I've rebooted everything, tried to sync, oh and I have no light on the ring at the top of any of the devices.  They do glow white while booting I believe, but I have not seen any magenta.  Browser-based GUI is VERY slow at best.  Generally does not work.

Sorry for the rant, but I am so frustrated and angry I could spit nails.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Your problem is with the firmware: v2.5.0.38

You may want to try and revert to an older version.

How did you get v2.5.0.38?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Your problem is with the firmware: v2.5.0.38

You may want to try and revert to an older version.

How did you get v2.5.0.38?

Message 2 of 17
Mark_L
Tutor

Auto-update, I suppose.  I did not go out of my way to put it on there.

Thanks for the comment.  I'll try to dl the "Current Version" and apply it manually.

Message 3 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mark_L wrote:

Auto-update, I suppose.  I did not go out of my way to put it on there.

Thanks for the comment.  I'll try to dl the "Current Version" and apply it manually.

fair enough.

Just to be clear...Auto-update usually means Netgear pushed it with no action on your part. Most of the time it may happen in the middle of the night.

Some people do login and see that a firmware is available and they consider that an auto-update.  It is not.  That would be an optional update.  If a firmware contains major revisions, it will be pushed with no action by the user.  That's an auto-update.

Message 4 of 17
Mark_L
Tutor

Got it.  In that case, I am not certain.  I do occasionally "Check for Updates" in the app and apply them when they are available.  Haven't done one for a while.  It's possible that it came in that way.  This is the first time that I have ever done any manual uploading of firmware, however.  And for a little additional info, both the router and the satellites were at this version.  After rolling back the router, the satellites did connect, but based on the issues that I am having, I am rolling the satellites back too.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mark_L wrote:

Got it.  In that case, I am not certain.  I do occasionally "Check for Updates" in the app and apply them when they are available.  Haven't done one for a while.  It's possible that it came in that way.  This is the first time that I have ever done any manual uploading of firmware, however.  And for a little additional info, both the router and the satellites were at this version.  After rolling back the router, the satellites did connect, but based on the issues that I am having, I am rolling the satellites back too.

Thanks again!

Nice....sounds like you got it.  Once your firmware all around is good, recommend leaving it alone and enjoy your Orbi.

Message 6 of 17
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:
 Once your firmware all around is good, recommend leaving it alone and enjoy your Orbi.

And just exactly is that supposed to happen as long as Netgear auto updates firmware?  v2.5.0.38 auto updated.

Message 7 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:
 Once your firmware all around is good, recommend leaving it alone and enjoy your Orbi.

And just exactly is that supposed to happen as long as Netgear auto updates firmware?  v2.5.0.38 auto updated.

read his post.....I beleive he said he selected 'update firmware', that's an option.  He didn't have to update.

what I'm saying is do nothing.  No system of distribution is perfect, but if NG pushes a firmware on users (no action by the user) and it screws up the system, well I sleep better at night knowing I didn't tinker around and mess things up myself.  

Message 8 of 17
Ragar99
Luminary

You might want to read his post again. 

"I am not certain.  I do occasionally "Check for Updates" in the app and apply them when they are available.  Haven't done one for a while. "

Besides v2.5.0.38 was a release that auto updated.  The current system sucks.

Message 9 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

You might want to read his post again. 

"I am not certain.  I do occasionally "Check for Updates" in the app and apply them when they are available.  Haven't done one for a while. "

Besides v2.5.0.38 was a release that auto updated.  The current system sucks.

OK...your opinion is noted.  There are many routers available and I believe you'll find their 'current system' sucks just as bad.

Message 10 of 17
Ragar99
Luminary

All Netgear has to do is add the ability to control firmware updates like other vendors.  This is not rocket science. 

It would be nice if they improved their QA also.  I've never seen a vendor pull so many firmware updates, but if I could block updates I could live with their poor QA.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@Mark_L wrote:

I am extremely saddened to discover that the only option that I have for support after only 7 months is a paid service.  I paid, I think about $500 for an RBR50 and 2 RBS50s and now I can't speak to somebody.  This is pathetic!!

So for the last 7 months, things have generally been fine.  I think that Disney Circle may be causing memory issues, but I've learned to live with that.  Today, I noticed some poor service.  I opened the mobile Orbi App and noticed that both of my satellites were offline.  In the Web Interface, they show as waiting for connection.  Oh and these have wired back haul, and I am currently using the LAN ports of the satellites fine.  My f/w version is listed as v2.5.0.38, and this version doesn't even show up on this website.  I mean I just don't get it with this company. 

I got a survey request when I started this thread that I agreed to.  I filled it out and wrote that I think that this service and terrible and that I would not be buying any additional NetGear products.  I clicked submit, and it returned a server error.  Unbelievable!!

All that I really want to know is when was this f/w released and is this a bug?  I am about to a) try a factory reset b) go purchase a new non-NetGear mesh set up and start blasting them in reviews.

I've rebooted everything, tried to sync, oh and I have no light on the ring at the top of any of the devices.  They do glow white while booting I believe, but I have not seen any magenta.  Browser-based GUI is VERY slow at best.  Generally does not work.

Sorry for the rant, but I am so frustrated and angry I could spit nails.

Message 12 of 17
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Retired_Member wrote:

read his post.....I beleive he said he selected 'update firmware', that's an option.  He didn't have to update.

That's what occurred in my case. I manually checked for a new firmware version and got v2.5.0.38 for the router and both sats. However, I simply never hit the update button and, as a result, the new version never downloaded and was never applied; I'm still on v2.3.5.30. As far as I can determine, this was not an "auto update" (which I believe NG has abandoned).

Message 13 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

factory resets are for lost passwords

Message 14 of 17
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Mark_L wrote:

...They do glow white while booting I believe, but I have not seen any magenta.  Browser-based GUI is VERY slow at best...

If Orbi LED is pulsing white, it could be busy and slow.  If it is, just wait it out, which could take a while.

Satellite and router ring LEDs

Pulsing white. Your Orbi router and satellite are applying a configuration or updating their firmware.
OFF. Your Orbi router and satellite are working normally.

Router ring LEDs

Solid white. Your Orbi router is powering up.
Pulsing white. Your Orbi router is in factory default mode.  
Message 15 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

All Netgear has to do is add the ability to control firmware updates like other vendors.  This is not rocket science. 

It would be nice if they improved their QA also.  I've never seen a vendor pull so many firmware updates, but if I could block updates I could live with their poor QA.

Sounds like you're not aware of the Netgear firmware policy.  In the past ALL firmware was pushed auto-pilot (no action required by the user).  After listening from its users, that changed to the current policy where ONLY major revisions is pushed auto-pilot.  You will still optional updates available.  To be installed at user risk, or join the beta tester group and answer the dozen of troubleshooting questions.

My question has always been, how is a system that allows the user to completely turn off ALL updated any better than what we currently have?  If Netgear did that how would the user update their system?  How would know the good from the bad updates.  Come in here and read others posts?  God luck with that and all the different ways people run their networks.   Oh, wait a minute, you could buy a seperate PC and Orbi as a test platform and really live on the edge.

I suggest you visit some of the other vendor forums and read some of the posts concerning firmware updates.  It'll remind you of home.

At least Netgear is trying.

Message 16 of 17

@Mark_L wrote:

This place is free.

And you seem to have found an answer in just 45 minutes.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7