Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ac2200 vs ac3000

Pier0188
Follower

Ac2200 vs ac3000

Costco has he ac300 for 369 and bestbuy has the ac220 for 329, both 3 units, on Black Friday. If I am using Ethernet backhaul does it make sense to pay the extra 40 for the ac3000?
Message 1 of 3
hilld83
Star

Re: Ac2200 vs ac3000

Netgear has reported that they are working to add ethernet backhaul as a capability of Orbi devices. Currently, this feature is not enabled. If you are firmly set on using ethernet backhaul immediately, then I would look for a solution using devices which are intended to be used as dedicated access points. Purchasing the Orbi system for use with ethernet backhaul is a bit like counting your eggs before they hatch.

My recommendation is to consider what your network needs are and to choose a solution which meets your specific needs. If the Orbi meets most of your network needs except for ethernet backhaul, then I suggest that you set it up and try it out in its default configuration using wireless backhaul. For most users, this will work quite well when installed per Netgear's configuration instructions.

As for your primary question of which system to purchase, I would recommend going with a system that complements your internet connection speed and local network needs. If you have an internet connection of up to 150 Mbps and you will not be constantly moving large files between devices or network attached storage, then the RBK30 or RBK40 (AC2200 systems) will work fine. However, if you have an internet connection speed greater than 150 Mbps and/or you need to move a lot of large files wirelessly across your local network, then the RBK50 (AC3000 system) will be a better fit.

One last suggestion--the ethernet backhaul you have installed is a great feature to be able to use. Keep in mind, though, that when it comes to using wireless devices on your local network, the intent is ease of use and mobility. Connect as many fixed network devices to your ethernet backhaul as you can and leave your wireless network for hard-to-reach devices and mobile devices.

Your experience with networking will be best if you properly plan it out and determine what your needs are before making any purchases. The Orbi systems are fantastic products for connecting modern wireless devices to fast internet connections. Be careful not to create expectations which are not feasible due to device limitations.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 3
hilld83
Star

Re: Ac2200 vs ac3000

I apologize for missing your earlier description of the Orbi systems you are considering for purchase. My recommendations were based on the bandwidth of the wireless backhaul between the AC2200 and AC3000 systems. One additional satellite is for extended wireless range and when properly installed and configured it will not impact the performance of your network. Therefore, my recommendation is:

- The RBK53 (AC3000 system) will be better for internet speeds greater than 150 Mbps and for moving large files locally.

- The RBK43 (AC2200 system) will be better for speeds of up to 150 Mbps and is suitible for the average user.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7