Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control - is it possible to Dynamically block access to specific devices on demand?

marcdcmb
Tutor

Access Control - is it possible to Dynamically block access to specific devices on demand?

I have a couple of assistant devices (Echo and Google Mini) that I want to leave out on my back deck. But ONLY if I can block their access to my network when I am not at home or when my patio door is locked.

I was using Circle for this purpose until IFTTT support was dropped.

Basically I have a Hubitat Elevation hub with a virtual switch that would be set when my presence sensor indicated I was not at home or various other conditions were met.

IFTTT would then trigger based on the switch and turn off a profile I had created in Circle to lock out any devices I don't want on my network when I'm not around.

Ideally there would be a way to specify an ENABLE or DISABLE command for specific MAC addresses that could be issued from my Hubitat to my ORBI router across my home network. i.e. http://19x.x.x.x/SomeCommandInterface/aa:bb:cc:dd:aa:cc=BLOCK?SomeOATHTokenHere

Is anybody aware of a means by which this can be done?

I really like having the assistants available outside where I can adjust lighting, announce things inside the house, and adjust the outdoor entertainment center while floating in my pool or eating on the patio. But I cannot leave them active when I'm not around.

Best Regards

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Access Control - is it possible to Dynamically block access to specific devices on demand?

@marcdcmb wrote:

Is anybody aware of a means by which this can be done?

I really like having the assistants available outside where I can adjust lighting, announce things inside the house, and adjust the outdoor entertainment center while floating in my pool or eating on the patio. But I cannot leave them active when I'm not around.

Sending commands to the Orbi.  Chances are close to zero. Certainly not a simple "one liner".

OK for someone to steal them, but not use them?  Depending on how they are plugged in, perhaps a Smart Plug with IFTTT integration could cut power to them and restore power when conditions warrant.  There are even Smart Electrical Outlets where it is not obvious that they are "smart." (whereas a plug is readily apparent.)  Putting the electrical plug inside a locked enclosure (but not WiFi blocking) would help obscure things.

Message 2 of 5
marcdcmb
Tutor

marcpilot@gmail.com

Sending commands to the Orbi.  Chances are close to zero. Certainly not a simple "one liner".

@CrimpOn , yeah, I know it's a long-shot. I figure I'd feel foolish not to check. But I couldn't find any reference to this kind of facility online so thought I'd ping others who know the product.

OK for someone to steal them, but not use them?  Depending on how they are plugged in, perhaps a Smart Plug with IFTTT integration could cut power to them and restore power when conditions warrant.  There are even Smart Electrical Outlets where it is not obvious that they are "smart." (whereas a plug is readily apparent.)  Putting the electrical plug inside a locked enclosure (but not WiFi blocking) would help obscure things.

They're cheap enough these days that I'm not super worried anybody'd want to walk off with them.

I had thought about just cutting the power but all somebody'd need to do is plug the unit in to another outlet.

The locked enclosure is a good thought. It would just have to be non-intrusive enough for the wife to not dislike the esthetics and also open enough to hear and be heard clearly.

As I type this the thought strikes me that I *could* move them to another router with its own SSID. Then have that router controlled by a smartswitch.

I'll have to see how much functionality the Echo and Mini would lose by not being on my "home" network. Frankly, as long as they can talk to the Hubitat I think I can do what I want, and I'm about 80% that all that communication is through the cloud anyway. Hmmm... project for the weekend...

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: marcpilot@gmail.com

@marcdcmb wrote:

The locked enclosure is a good thought. It would just have to be non-intrusive enough for the wife to not dislike the esthetics and also open enough to hear and be heard clearly.

As I type this the thought strikes me that I *could* move them to another router with its own SSID. Then have that router controlled by a smartswitch.

I was thinking about just locking up the electrical plug, not the actual speaker.

I think your idea of a separate SSID is the winner.

Locate a WiFi extender, such as the Netgear EX3700 inside the house, close to the patio and have it broadcast a unique SSID for the smart speakers. Plug it into a Smart Plug that is controlled by IFTTT.

No esthetic changes outside at all. No limitation on which electrical outlet to use.

This results in the speakers remaining on the Orbi network. (I believe the EX3700 will create artificial MAC addresses for the speakers, but I haven't used mine for several months. I could be mistaken.)

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: marcpilot@gmail.com

p.s. An EX3700 will cost less than assembling enclosures, especially if your time is included.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7