Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.2.1.210

Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.2.1.210

RBR50 

After upgrading to the V2.2.1.210 router firmware, i'm finding that devices that have approved MacID addresses and have been previosly on the network for months are suddenly being blocked in the Access Control panel interface. I have to manually un-block them. Now I have to continually check to see what else in my network has been taken off line without notification. 

Message 1 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW updated, via auto update or did you manually install the FW files and continue or a reset back to factory settings then setup from scratch? 

Has a full power OFF for 1 minute then back ON of the Orbi system been performed after the FW update? 

Message 2 of 105

Did a pull update from the dashboard, and then simply let it reboot. I can go power it down for an additonal step.

Message 3 of 105

@qtschlepper wrote:

Did a pull update from the dashboard, and then simply let it reboot. I can go power it down for an additonal step.

Did that - Looks like I'm getting the false blocking that others are reporting.

Message 4 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Will probably need to get ahold of NG support for there review on this...

@ChristineT

@Christian_R

Message 5 of 105
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @qtschlepper - Thank you for reaching out. Please send me a message with your contact info and I will have support get in contact with you. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 105
ekhalil
Master

@qtschlepper wrote:

RBR50 

After upgrading to the V2.2.1.210 router firmware, i'm finding that devices that have approved MacID addresses and have been previosly on the network for months are suddenly being blocked in the Access Control panel interface. I have to manually un-block them. Now I have to continually check to see what else in my network has been taken off line without notification. 

I noticed that it's easy to -unintentionally- toggle the "Pause/Resume" switch in the "Device List" in the Orbi app on IOS. It happened few time to me while browsing "Device List" in the app.

Message 7 of 105

Blocked 10-16-18 12p.jpegJust to put a fine point on it, I went to confirm if it was just the web page mis-reporting bug or if it was REALLY blocking. Turns out that the iMac-wireless and my wireless Tivo were both marked blcoked when I returned to the admin console on Chrome. (not using mobile or iOS) I confirmed that they were both indeed really blocked, and unblocked them with the edit function, as the unblock checkbox was ineffective. Both were immediately restored. I have to say that it's truly annoying having to check back in and turn on my approved devices without a heads up that they were turned off. Now if there was some superduper cybersecurity Ai that thought that these devices were compromised and out of a abundance of caution it was killing the command and control I would be thrilled. But i'm sure thats not the case.

Message 8 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

@Christian_R

@qtschlepper wrote:

Blocked 10-16-18 12p.jpegJust to put a fine point on it, I went to confirm if it was just the web page mis-reporting bug or if it was REALLY blocking. Turns out that the iMac-wireless and my wireless Tivo were both marked blcoked when I returned to the admin console on Chrome. (not using mobile or iOS) I confirmed that they were both indeed really blocked, and unblocked them with the edit function, as the unblock checkbox was ineffective. Both were immediately restored. I have to say that it's truly annoying having to check back in and turn on my approved devices without a heads up that they were turned off. Now if there was some superduper cybersecurity Ai that thought that these devices were compromised and out of a abundance of caution it was killing the command and control I would be thrilled. But i'm sure thats not the case.

Message 9 of 105
mc64
Tutor

I'm having the same problems. I've had to turn off access control, which is VERY annoying.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Access-Control-Bug-in-Orbi-V2-2-1-210/td-p/1654904/jump-to/fir...

@mc64 wrote:

I'm having the same problems. I've had to turn off access control, which is VERY annoying.

Message 11 of 105
milk242
Tutor

I have the same issue.

I unblocked a device from my iPhone and the iPhone got blocked itself.  When I went on my laptop to go to the portal, I could see that my iPhone was now blocked and the device I was trying to unblock initially was still blocked.  When I went to unblock both, only my iPhone would unblock and the initial device would not no matter how many times I've tried.  I had to resort to turning it off, can Netgear get their **bleep** together before releasing firmwares or at least not force it on us.

Message 12 of 105

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Access-Control-Bug-in-Orbi-V2-2-1-210/td-p/1654904/jump-to/fir...

@mc64 wrote:

I got a working solution from the Netgear team.

it's a bit complex but as of now the problem went away. You need to do a manual install of the firmware (download from the site) upload it manually to each of the Orbi units on your network, an then do a factory reset. Before you start, save the configuration file and then load it after the reset. That seems to do it. I'm guessing they are working on a fix for the automatic firmware update, but I was Patient Zero, and this fix worked.

Message 13 of 105
mc64
Tutor

"Manually install firmware and perform factory reset?" That's not really a working solution. I've *been* a network engineer and that's a lame response for terrible QA.

Message 14 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

It's meant as a work around solution for now until NG gets the bug fixed. 

@mc64 wrote:

"Manually install firmware and perform factory reset?" That's not really a working solution. I've *been* a network engineer and that's a lame response for terrible QA.

Message 15 of 105

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@mc64 wrote:

As much as I agree with you, this may in fact be the first time in history this actually worked. As of today the problem still hasn't reappeard. But i'm checking twice a day, as i'm skeptical as well.

Message 16 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted. If NG knows about it, hopefully it should appear in next FW update.

@Christian_R

@qtschlepper wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@mc64 wrote:

As much as I agree with you, this may in fact be the first time in history this actually worked. As of today the problem still hasn't reappeard. But i'm checking twice a day, as i'm skeptical as well.

Message 17 of 105
mc64
Tutor

That's not a reasonable workaround IMO. I've worked for software product companies, IMO, QA/relase process needs serious improvement. The bug fix should be a priority and I don't see any indication that it is. As a 22-year veteran in this industry, I'm appalled.

Message 18 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Well untill next FW update, users can use the work around. not the first bug nor probably the last. 

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 105
mc64
Tutor

Or users can go elsewhere, i.e. another vendor. It's probably what I'll do.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 20 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 105

I now have an unfortunate side effect after this fix. The RBS50 satelight (#2 of 2) is now blocking access to the local net and generally causing havoc, including blocking out the laptop that was the dashboard controller via wi-fi, and casusing Chrome to report an man-in-the-midddle attack for any page you attepmt to reach. It shows having sync and a good connection 5G backbonem and a genuine good IP address issued by the RBR50, but after about an hour on-line locally attached devices can't get on to the net. If I power it down completely, the rest of the network and all the devices work fine without it. This is not good.

Bad RBS50.jpeg

Message 22 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the satellite connected? wireless or wired? 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Do the satellites AND controlled devices have IP address reservations ON the router? 

@qtschlepper wrote:

I now have an unfortunate side effect after this fix. The RBS50 satelight (#2 of 2) is now blocking access to the local net and generally causing havoc, including blocking out the laptop that was the dashboard controller via wi-fi, and casusing Chrome to report an man-in-the-midddle attack for any page you attepmt to reach. It shows having sync and a good connection 5G backbonem and a genuine good IP address issued by the RBR50, but after about an hour on-line locally attached devices can't get on to the net. If I power it down completely, the rest of the network and all the devices work fine without it. This is not good.

Bad RBS50.jpeg

Message 23 of 105

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How is the satellite connected? wireless or wired? 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Do the satellites AND controlled devices have IP address reservations ON the router? 

@qtschlepper wrote:

Bad RBS50.jpeg

It's connected wirelessly, over the 5G backhaul. I do not have IP addresses reserved, they are getting random addresses assigned.

Message 24 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try setting up IP addresses for the satelites and controlled devices and see. 

Message 25 of 105
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7