Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.2.1.210

chrissnv
Guide

@Warrensroad wrote:

Reboot the router. Now any device on your network that gets blocked can be unblocked and will STAY UNBLOCKED!!!!!!

Nice find, still everything working as expeced? I am going to wait a little bit longer with upgrading again, maybe Netgear will release a fixed Firmware soon so I can skip the buggy one. (don't want to go back to unstable for now)

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 51 of 105
Warrensroad
Tutor

Man I thought for sure I had it fixed. No such luck. Started blocking again.

What a bummer:(...

However, Iv'e been fiddling with the rip settings and they are currently set to

RIP Direction=Both

RIP version=Disabled

was

RIP Direction=Both

RIP version=RIP_2M

So far so good but I wouln't bet .50 cents on it holding. I'll update in a few days.

Fingers crossed;)

Message 52 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

@Warrensroad wrote:

Man I thought for sure I had it fixed. No such luck. Started blocking again.

What a bummer:(...

However, Iv'e been fiddling with the rip settings and they are currently set to

RIP Direction=Both

RIP version=Disabled

was

RIP Direction=Both

RIP version=RIP_2M

So far so good but I wouln't bet .50 cents on it holding. I'll update in a few days.

Fingers crossed;)

Message 53 of 105
F_V
Luminary
Luminary

Tried the enable daisy chaining option to get rid of the access control blocking trusted devices fix.  For me, no go, it first blocked my girlfriends phone when she got home, then some time later blocked mine as well.  Did a reboot a few times after the 'fix', oh well, back to the drawing board.

Message 54 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

You might disable all access controls until NG comes out with the next FW update. Sounds like this has been a problem in this version of FW. 

@F_V wrote:

Tried the enable daisy chaining option to get rid of the access control blocking trusted devices fix.  For me, no go, it first blocked my girlfriends phone when she got home, then some time later blocked mine as well.  Did a reboot a few times after the 'fix', oh well, back to the drawing board.

Message 55 of 105
Warrensroad
Tutor

Disabling RIP version has so far cured the blocking issue.

Message 56 of 105
mc64
Tutor

All of these anecdotal fixes, while interesting, don't resolve the root cause: a software bug. Netgear needs to address that issue. Clearly this is a major problem, but they seem indifferent to the appropriate resolution.

Message 57 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

You can file a support ticket here and let them know of your concerns about Access Control:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Blanca_O

@mc64 wrote:

All of these anecdotal fixes, while interesting, don't resolve the root cause: a software bug. Netgear needs to address that issue. Clearly this is a major problem, but they seem indifferent to the appropriate resolution.

Message 58 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. You might contact NG support and let them know about what you have found.

@Blanca_O

@Warrensroad wrote:

Disabling RIP version has so far cured the blocking issue.

Message 59 of 105
nikolov333
Tutor

I found, working solution for this problem, by my self:

1. Disconect or stop blocked device from you system..

2. Remove device from blocked devices in Access Control third section->View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network-> Select device check box-> Remo...

3. Add Allowed Device in Access Control second section->View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network  by entering Device MAC address and name.

4. Connect you device again to the router and check if device status is Allowed

5. Wait for Netgear Support to rollout new Firmware update and hope to have access control normaly working..

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 60 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Also have you tried setting up a IP address reservation ON the router for the device your trying to control?

@nikolov333 wrote:

I found, working solution for this problem, by my self:

1. Disconect or stop blocked device from you system..

2. Remove device from blocked devices in Access Control third section->View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network-> Select device check box-> Remo...

3. Add Allowed Device in Access Control second section->View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network  by entering Device MAC address and name.

4. Connect you device again to the router and check if device status is Allowed

5. Wait for Netgear Support to rollout new Firmware update and hope to have access control normaly working..

Message 61 of 105
nikolov333
Tutor

No i dont have any address reservations on the router.. only one for Orbi Satellite Wired Backhaul, but i have some problems with this connection too.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 62 of 105
mc64
Tutor

EVERYONE on this community site has raised concerns about the firmware bug in V2.2.1.210. We open cases and follow Support's instructions, but the issue hasn't been resolved by Netgear. I fail to understand how opening yet another case will get this resolved when everyone knows it's due to bugs in the code.

Message 63 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting IP address reservations for your devices first, then go in and setup Access Controls. Try your method as well after setting up a reservation. 

@nikolov333 wrote:

No i dont have any address reservations on the router.. only one for Orbi Satellite Wired Backhaul, but i have some problems with this connection too.

Message 64 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@mc64 wrote:

EVERYONE on this community site has raised concerns about the firmware bug in V2.2.1.210. We open cases and follow Support's instructions, but the issue hasn't been resolved by Netgear. I fail to understand how opening yet another case will get this resolved when everyone knows it's due to bugs in the code.

Message 65 of 105
F_V
Luminary
Luminary

I fixed my Orbi Router and two Repeaters this weekend.  I bought a pfSense firewall, put the Orbi in AP mode, and offloaded all of the actual work to the Firewall.   Works great and is far faster without services running on the wifi devices. Good job losing another customer Netgear.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 66 of 105
Stev3D
Luminary

@qtschlepper I realize I am responding a a long time after this thread was started, but in case it helps others, here goes...

I ran into the same problem a couple of weeks ago.  I discovered a pattern, and was able to solve it (so far).  I noticed that a  common element of the entries that were blocked was that I had approved the newly-added devices from Orbi iOS (iPhone) app.  So, disconnected the ones that were having the problem.  Then, from the Web interface, I deleted the two access control entries corresponding to the downed machines, I then manually created "Allowed" entries for those machines (by MAC address), and then broght them back up.  And all is well.

This suggests (does not prove) that the culpret was the iOS app -- that by allowing them via that app, I created corrupted entries in the Access Control table.  Clearly more research is needed, I would hope someone from Netgear might look into this.

Message 67 of 105

Unfortunately in my case I don't have an iOS device to blaim. I did all my additions through the web portal. I find at after perfectly stable connected devices that amy be working for weeks suddenly just disconnect and I need to go to the portal and re-admit them. What's new is that now, one of the satelights causes the entire network to become unstable. I finally powered it down and eveything returned to normal. This continued, after the most recent firmware update V2.3.1.48 I was hoping would put a fork in the situation and finally bring it to an end, but no joy. So I paid for a 3 point system and I run on two, with occational drops of my devices. And yes using the "allowed" interface eventually works, but only after 2-3 tries for me.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 68 of 105
F_V
Luminary
Luminary

What a joke, this 'premium' product has been out for years.  Netgear, killing itself one customer at a time.

Message 69 of 105

Yea, maybe its time to pull the Costco card and just return it and start over.

It's the brute force method, but I really don't want to add 56 MacID addresses into the next product, it's so painful. Yet, I have been amazingly patient and hopeful. Time to give it up. Can't wait for them to try and talk me into the next AX routers in the next product refresh so I can tell them what I think. (Yes please I'll take that web survey now.)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 70 of 105
HSIM
Tutor

Sorry, using another device such as a separate fireware is not a solution for most of us in this thread. We want the NetGear router / repeater to get the fixed firmware. I had some hope for NetGear and that's why I bought this system. But it is my zero day, and I am hit / bit by this bug...

Message 71 of 105
Stev3D
Luminary

I have a little bit of good news for you, @HSIM.  Someone from Netgear contacted me privately and had me collect log data while I reproduced the problem (easily done — it is quite reproducible).  The logs were delivered to Netgear’s engineering team for analysis a week ago. The fact that they asked me to collect and send them hard technical data suggests to me that they are serious about addressing the issue.  I am optimistic that the problem will be identified and resolved.  Bugs happen (to err is human), but they should be faulted for not having a thorough enough testing regime to catch these before the firmware is unleashed upon the world.

Message 72 of 105
F_V
Luminary
Luminary

I completely agree with you, I'd rather the Orbi work as advertised, especially since I spent over $500 bucks on a router solution.  That was 19 months ago, and it's clear now they have moved on to other things, so should we.

Message 73 of 105
PB1234
Aspirant

This solution seems to have worked for me. Thank you so much fellow user! Meanwhile I agree with the comments that Netgear should be addressing these bugs on their system far more proactively. It's simply appalling for such an expensive system. Hours and hours WASTED. I look forward to a firmware upgrade that fixes the need for this work around.
Message 74 of 105
jgirado
Aspirant

Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.3.1.60

Hi,

I have the same problem after upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3.1.60.  Some (not all) of my devices are blocked by the router RBR50 on and off. Some I can un-block but after a couple of minutes the router block them again, and others I can't seems to un-block. 

I read the whole thread, and tried all the proposed solution (assign them a static IP, etc) but nothing seems to work.

Can somebody help?

Thanks in advance

Message 75 of 105
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7