Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.3.1.60

HSIM
Tutor

As far as I remember, on my NetGear Nighthawk X4 router, if I set "Block new devices" option on and try to unblock devices that are unblocked from the blocked list, it never worked. Instead, I had to copy the MAC address and add manually to allowed but not connected list. At least that solved the problem. After upgrading my router to this Orbi system, this workaround doesn't work any more, saying the MAC address is duplicate. NetGear seems to be ignoring all the details these days, and only focus on just the basic functionalities. If this is not fixed soon enough, I will return my Orbi and switch to another brand router. NetGear is no longer a professional network device maker, but rather became a consumer appliance maker.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 76 of 105

This is an old and rambling discussion.

Best dealt with here in your other discussion:

RBR50 Access Control randomly blocking approved de... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 77 of 105
jgirado
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip HSIM.

I manage to copy the MAC address and add manually to allowed but not connected list after rebooting the router and making sure that device wasn't connected. But even though that, once I reconnect the device the router blocks it again after an hour or so.

Message 78 of 105
HSIM
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

Linked thread is about exactly the issue as this one, and has no additional information. This thread at least tells users what others tried and failed to work, so that new users don't get false hope, wasting their time. I finally decided to turn MAC filtering off until either I return this stupid router or Netgear fixes this stupid bug. I have very low hope the later will happen first. Sorry, I am losing faith in Netgear...

Message 79 of 105
HSIM
Tutor

I tried to escalate this to Netgear as directly as possible, but Netgear seems to be reluctant to provide a direct feedback channel and directs users to this community forum that they ignore for years, and askes users to purchase "GearHead" support plan. As I dig into this problem deeper, I get more disappointed in Netgear. I was planning to return my current Orbi 50K system and purchase 53K system, and it is on its way. But decided to return both, and switch to another brand router system. Bye, Netgear. And good luck everyone in this community!

Message 80 of 105
HSIM
Tutor

Just wanted to share my workaround for this issue.

I have decided to give Orbi another chance, by returning my set with updated firmware, which seems to be worse with regard to this issue. I purchased a new set, but kept old firmware. It seems a lot stable than the one with updated firmware. Today, I changed my phone to Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, and Orbi wouldn't allow it access, ever. I tried about 20 times to allow it, but Orbi kept it (and one or more devices it randomly picks) blocked. So, I tried to add the MAC to "Allowed but not connected" list. It failed with error message saying the MAC is duplicate. I turned wifi off on my phone, waited a while, refreshed the connected device list, and made sure it disappeared. I then manually added the MAC address to "Allowed but not connected" list, and it worked. With this trick, my phone can now connect to the Orbi router and acces internet. Hope this can help some of the users experiencing the same issue like the rest of us. BTW, where is Netgear? Only at the sales department? No one works at Customer Service department, or Development department? Fix it already!

@HSIM wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Linked thread is about exactly the issue as this one, and has no additional information. This thread at least tells users what others tried and failed to work, so that new users don't get false hope, wasting their time. I finally decided to turn MAC filtering off until either I return this stupid router or Netgear fixes this stupid bug. I have very low hope the later will happen first. Sorry, I am losing faith in Netgear...

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 81 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

So with new HW and devices using updated v30 FW, Orbi is not allowing your new device to connect to wifi? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after applying v30 FW? 

What happens if you temporarily disable WPA on the Orbi on v53. Does the new device connect to Orbi then? Try enabled WPA and TPIK and test again, then try WPA2 and AES. 

Is Beamforming, MIMO  and WMM enabled on the RBR? Might try Beamforming and MIMO disabled as well...

@HSIM wrote:

Just wanted to share my workaround for this issue.

I have decided to give Orbi another chance, by returning my set with updated firmware, which seems to be worse with regard to this issue. I purchased a new set, but kept old firmware. It seems a lot stable than the one with updated firmware. Today, I changed my phone to Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, and Orbi wouldn't allow it access, ever. I tried about 20 times to allow it, but Orbi kept it (and one or more devices it randomly picks) blocked. So, I tried to add the MAC to "Allowed but not connected" list. It failed with error message saying the MAC is duplicate. I turned wifi off on my phone, waited a while, refreshed the connected device list, and made sure it disappeared. I then manually added the MAC address to "Allowed but not connected" list, and it worked. With this trick, my phone can now connect to the Orbi router and acces internet. Hope this can help some of the users experiencing the same issue like the rest of us. BTW, where is Netgear? Only at the sales department? No one works at Customer Service department, or Development department? Fix it already!

@HSIM wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Message 82 of 105
HSIM
Tutor

I am not a tester for NetGear, but just a dumb user that wants to be a little bit safer with the well known minimal settings. MAC address filtering is something that everyone would expect to work without affected by other settings. You just check the MAC address and allow or disallow the access, no? Why would it care about WPA, Beam Forming, or whatever? If they would affect MAC address fltering, NetGear should know what to test and how to fix.

Unfortunately, my earlier workaround lasted less than a day. I see my Galaxy Note 10+ blocked again. I had to abandon MAC filtering (as I had to select the option to "Allow all new devices" which does not make much sense to me as I am not checking the MAC list and find out which addresses are mine or some strangers. Names picked up by Orbi is not really helpful in that regards).

I become less and less pond of NetGear as I encounter these problems day by day. Whenever some other company comes out with any similar product, I will be willingly switch, without hasitation.

Message 83 of 105
Stev3D
Luminary

@HSIM, I was able to get the problem stopped by deleting all the device (MAC) entries that I allowed using the mobile app, and manage the Access Control exclusively from my computer Web browser.  Since doing that, I have not had any problems.

While I was struggling with my probelm, someone from Netgear contacted me privately, I ran some tests and collected some debug data for them.  A couple of months later, Netgear releaed firmware v2.3.5.30 for the Orbi RBK50, and that same Netger person contacted me to ask me to try it again (approve a new device from the Orbi app on my iPhone).  I deleted an entry and approved it using the app, and problems did not reoccur.  However, I don't thnk it was a fair test becasue the Orbi did retain some memory of the fake-new (deleted and re-approved) device, so I reported it as such.  As soon as I get a new network client (like replacing my very old iPad), I will do the test properly.

So, my advice is: (1) Be sure you have the current firmware installed (you may have indicated that, way up the thread somewhere), and (2) try to clean out any entries "contaminated" by a smart phone, and try working only with the Web browser.

Some combination of the two has worked for me (YMMV).

Message 84 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed if you updated to v30 on your system? 

@HSIM wrote:

I am not a tester for NetGear, but just a dumb user that wants to be a little bit safer with the well known minimal settings. MAC address filtering is something that everyone would expect to work without affected by other settings. You just check the MAC address and allow or disallow the access, no? Why would it care about WPA, Beam Forming, or whatever? If they would affect MAC address fltering, NetGear should know what to test and how to fix.

Unfortunately, my earlier workaround lasted less than a day. I see my Galaxy Note 10+ blocked again. I had to abandon MAC filtering (as I had to select the option to "Allow all new devices" which does not make much sense to me as I am not checking the MAC list and find out which addresses are mine or some strangers. Names picked up by Orbi is not really helpful in that regards).

I become less and less pond of NetGear as I encounter these problems day by day. Whenever some other company comes out with any similar product, I will be willingly switch, without hasitation.

Message 85 of 105
SergioRZ
Aspirant

Same problem here... started a couple of weeks ago... devices randomly blocked in Access Control, very annoying and renders the feature totally useless.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 86 of 105
gondek
Initiate

Anyone else getting the names and icons of their devices randomly changing and resting no matter how many times you change them?
Message 87 of 105

Yes, I have seen that as well. But it was such a minor issue compared to trying to add a new phone or laptop by MacID to my network, I didn't even bother to bring it up, lest it slowed down the development of the really important fix. 

Message 88 of 105
Stev3D
Luminary

Yes! I am seeing devices’ identification being randomly mapped to other devices (e.g, ones they are off-line) and with different device types (e.g., an iPad —> repeater). I was beginning to think my Orbi was dying. Sounds like this is a widespread problem, and the database software in the latest firmware update has a bug. I am also seeing devices Randomly going offline.

Netgear, I hope you are tracking this (the devices going offline is not new, and was previously due to a bad interaction between the iOS app and the Web-based interface).
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 89 of 105
SergioRZ
Aspirant

Yes, names and icons changing and switching... very silly stuff. Yesterday downgraded the firmware on the ORBI's to the .34 version, I hope it helps...

Message 90 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed if you updated your system? 

@SergioRZ wrote:

Same problem here... started a couple of weeks ago... devices randomly blocked in Access Control, very annoying and renders the feature totally useless.

Message 91 of 105
SergioRZ
Aspirant

I installed the FW and both ORBI devices rebooted, that's all.

I just downgraded to FW 34 and it required no extra procedure to work just fine.

Actually, unless there is some serious security issue, I see no need to upgrade FW from 34, it works just fine for me... is there any security issue going on?

Message 92 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

v34 and v40 are the same from NG said. So if its running well on v34, enjoy. 

I would make a back up configuration to file of the RBR for safe keeping. 

Smiley Wink

@SergioRZ wrote:

I installed the FW and both ORBI devices rebooted, that's all.

I just downgraded to FW 34 and it required no extra procedure to work just fine.

Actually, unless there is some serious security issue, I see no need to upgrade FW from 34, it works just fine for me... is there any security issue going on?

Message 93 of 105
Jetdrive
Luminary

Actually I don't think that .34 and .40 are the same. It was my understanding that .34 is .30 with the updated security certificate. .40 is .38 with the updated security certificate. 

Not the same at all.

Message 94 of 105
jgirado
Aspirant

Yes, names and icons changing, overlapping and switching here too... I perform a factory reset after installing V2.5.0.38 but still same issue. But  at least for now I'm not having my Access Control randomly blocking approved devices like before, although I haven't add too many devices like before. I'll keep monitoring this issue and report back. 

Message 95 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

What NG told me. " The newly released firmware v2.3.5.34 fixes the web SSL certificate (https) which is the same fix as with the 2.5.0.40. "

Message 96 of 105
Jetdrive
Luminary

Yep you are correct in that both .34 and .40 correct the same security flaw as NG said. Yet they are still totally differenct firmware versions. They just correct the same flaw and remain essentially .30 and .38.

Message 97 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

Use what works for you. Smiley Wink

Message 98 of 105
Jetdrive
Luminary

Seems you are not convinced you are spreading false information. Please load both versions and compare. Others have and agreed with me. Then please get back to us with your results. It's not OK to give out false information and say "Use what works for you. " as if that makes it better. 

And Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Message 99 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

v40 is what I'm using and working for me. Again, it's up to users to use what works for them. 

Good Luck and Happy Holidays. 

Message 100 of 105
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7