Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.2.1.210

Jetdrive
Luminary

Re: Access Control randomly blocking approved devices on V2.3.1.60

Again the issue is not what works best for YOU. It is providing correct information to the customers so they can decide what is best for them not YOU. When you give out incorrect information, you influence the customers decision. It is apparent you don't have the users best interest in mind -- only yours. I'm glad it works for YOU. I guess that is all that matters.

Merry Christmas.

Message 101 of 105
Stev3D
Luminary

I have some questions for you, @FURRYe38, because...

You mentioned v2.5.0.40, but my RBK50 (=RBR50+RBS50) thinks it has the latest at v2.5.0.38 -- which it found and suggested I update by way of the Web interface (under Advanced/Adminstration/Firmware Update/).

When I go to the support page for this device:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

it only lists these older versions:

RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.3.5.30
RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.3.5.30
RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.3.5.34 - Hot Fix
RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.3.5.34 - Hot Fix
RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.2.1.212
RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.2.1.212

No mention of anythig v2.5.x.y.

Here are my qustions:

1. Is there one place, one page, where there is a comprehensive list of firmware versions with release notes?  
  2. Where does one go for definitive information regarding the v2.5.x.y updates and associated release notes (a version that my router decided it wanted, but came to me without explaination -- and I just trused Netgear to know best)?
  3. Is Netgear sending beta software out as a firmware update -- am I a "crash dummy?"

Thank you,

Steve

Message 102 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

All FW versions and release notes associated with the versions listed are seen in the link you postd for the 50 series Orbi:

No other place that houses this information publically. v40 is listed there as well though posted in the uppor portion of the web page. 

@Stev3D wrote:

I have some questions for you, @FURRYe38, because...

You mentioned v2.5.0.40, but my RBK50 (=RBR50+RBS50) thinks it has the latest at v2.5.0.38 -- which it found and suggested I update by way of the Web interface (under Advanced/Adminstration/Firmware Update/).

When I go to the support page for this device:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

it only lists these older versions:

RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.3.5.30
RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.3.5.30
RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.3.5.34 - Hot Fix
RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.3.5.34 - Hot Fix
RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 2.2.1.212
RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.2.1.212

No mention of anythig v2.5.x.y.

Here are my qustions:

1. Is there one place, one page, where there is a comprehensive list of firmware versions with release notes?  
  2. Where does one go for definitive information regarding the v2.5.x.y updates and associated release notes (a version that my router decided it wanted, but came to me without explaination -- and I just trused Netgear to know best)?
  3. Is Netgear sending beta software out as a firmware update -- am I a "crash dummy?"

Thank you,

Steve

Message 103 of 105
Stev3D
Luminary

@FURRYe38 thanks for pointing out that the .40 "Hot Fix" is listed there in the "Top Support Articles," the fourth one down from "What can I do with the Orbi app?" and sandwiched between "What is the difference between the Orbi Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System and the Orbi WiFi 6 System?" and "EU Declarations of Conformity."   That is a place on the Support page that I would not have even given a second look because nothing relevant is ever there -- and not where I would look for firmware updates.

I think it is very odd (and totally counter-intuitive) that they don't list his "Hot Fix" among the other firmware updates; the big blue "Downloads" button takes me to a list that does not include .40 (the latest they show is .38).  I think they would be doing their customers a great favor if listed this latest update in the list with the others.

Not that I would have expected this "Hot Fix" to address it, but I still struggle with the Access Control database having entries scrambled and devices randomly blocked (it happened again this morning).  So, I may have to follow your standard advice (which I am not a fan of) and doing a factory reset and manually recreating the configuration (and I will be very cranky if that doesn't solve anything).  

I have never owned a more buggy Netgear device (all of which were similarly configured -- this one's only uniqueness is that is is a mesh system).  And I am actually considering asking "Santa Wife" for a Ubiquiti or eero system to replace this (the Orbi should not take this much care and feeding).

Message 104 of 105
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya. Seems that NG has let the FW versions get out of hand in the past couple of months. Im here to help users get there systems going again after updaimg if possible or have them revert back to what was working for them. I and a few others have working units on recent versions. However we do manual updates and factory resets aftrer FW is loaded so we don't seem to experience what others are seeing. Some don't see issues at all after updating while others do. NG is aware of the problems. It's a mixed bag for sure. So this post thread is in regards to older version of FW. So i would not post here about this and make a new post if you need to. I would load up what worked last for you and wait for the next FW update and see if the release notes meantion anything in regards to what was fixed before updating. 

@Stev3D wrote:

@FURRYe38 thanks for pointing out that the .40 "Hot Fix" is listed there in the "Top Support Articles," the fourth one down from "What can I do with the Orbi app?" and sandwiched between "What is the difference between the Orbi Whole Home AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System and the Orbi WiFi 6 System?" and "EU Declarations of Conformity."   That is a place on the Support page that I would not have even given a second look because nothing relevant is ever there -- and not where I would look for firmware updates.

I think it is very odd (and totally counter-intuitive) that they don't list his "Hot Fix" among the other firmware updates; the big blue "Downloads" button takes me to a list that does not include .40 (the latest they show is .38).  I think they would be doing their customers a great favor if listed this latest update in the list with the others.

Not that I would have expected this "Hot Fix" to address it, but I still struggle with the Access Control database having entries scrambled and devices randomly blocked (it happened again this morning).  So, I may have to follow your standard advice (which I am not a fan of) and doing a factory reset and manually recreating the configuration (and I will be very cranky if that doesn't solve anything).  

I have never owned a more buggy Netgear device (all of which were similarly configured -- this one's only uniqueness is that is is a mesh system).  And I am actually considering asking "Santa Wife" for a Ubiquiti or eero system to replace this (the Orbi should not take this much care and feeding).

Message 105 of 105
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7