Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Control still doesn't work?

thethirdnut
Guide

Access Control still doesn't work?

Running an RBR50 with 1 x RBS50 backhauled over ethernet. Both running V2.5.1.8.

Is there still a known issue, no real fix for Access Control randomly moving devices to BLOCKED status even when intervening and manually setting back to ALLOW?

Workaround I have in place is having Allow all new devices to connect checked which is obviously not ideal if people go thru all the trouble of adding MACs for approved devices, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

I would make contact with NG support and notify them of this issue your still seeing.

@Blanca_O 

Message 2 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@thethirdnut wrote:

Is there still a known issue, no real fix for Access Control randomly moving devices to BLOCKED status even when intervening and manually setting back to ALLOW?

Do you use the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app"?

Message 3 of 19
thethirdnut
Guide

Primarily the web interface. Occasionally check the app for status, etc but do must of the configuration through web page.

Message 4 of 19
thethirdnut
Guide

RE: Factory Reset - is it expected to do so everytime the firmware updates on these units?

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

When problems are experienced, yes, it's recommended. Changes in FW may cause older configuration to not work right or there maybe lingering FW code from prior versions. Resetting and setting up from scratch is recommended in these cases. 

Message 6 of 19
thethirdnut
Guide

OK - thank you for the feedback. The version of FW on their now is first time upgrade after initially setting these up around 2 months ago. I didn't experience this anomaly until a couple weeks ago.

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. If the reset and setup from scratch still experiences problems after that, then thats something to contact NG support about. 

Message 8 of 19
EducatedPork
Aspirant

Hi,

Did the 'factory reset and then set up everything again' dance work in this case? I just got my RBK50v2 yesterday, and set it all up with explicit access control for all of my devices - later updated to latest firmware, and I'm seeing that the 'allow' state for some of my devices is randomly changing to 'blocked' too. To the extent that I allowed a device this morning in the web interface, and it transitioned to 'allowed', but then - on exiting the access control screen and reentering it, both that device *and* another had moved to 'blocked' even though they were both 'allowed' immediately before.

It took *ages* to set this thing up with all my devices.. last thing I want to do is to spend more hours resetting it and doing it all from scratch again. Is a factory reset + a restore of the settings (saved just before the reset) sufficient? Or do I just stop using access control until this is fixed.

Really bad first impression of the Orbi, I have to say..

Dean

Message 9 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

With a brand new Orbi, Netgear provides 90 days of "complimentary support" (which is of course, absurd.  "Included in the price" is more accurate.)  There is a link on the product registration page to contact Netgear support.  Maybe it's time for Netgear to earn their money?

Message 10 of 19
EducatedPork
Aspirant

Hmmm.. I've attempted to do that - but after spending a significant amount of time entering a really detailed report, pressing to submit the support request just bounced me to a page where it said

"Page Unavailable : Sorry, but the requested page is unavailable due to as server issue."

So right now there's not even any working support email. Which doesn't exactly ease my concerns..

Anyway, shall try again later - maybe the hamsters will have found their way back onto the wheel by then, and the server will be working.

Dean

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Before configuring any access controls, setup IP address reservations for your devices. Save and apply. Then go in and set up access controls. Then see if the block and access works. 

Message 12 of 19
EducatedPork
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned I’m not wanting to do a factory restore and the full setup again. Especially when it’s not guaranteed to work. I want the actual cause of the problem to be identified and fixed at a firmware level. I have a report ready to raise with netgear, but (as mentioned above) their support systems seem to be out of order. Which is also pretty poor, right?

Cheers,
Dean
Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You have your options.

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 19
thethirdnut
Guide

I'm sorry, but I have to second that the 'doing a factory reset and setup from scratch again' is a piss poor solution especially when this seems to be prevalent in older firmware as well. Are users expected to do this every time a new firmware update comes out and/or periodically if this feature quits working?

I will look into sending an official bug report as well.

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. File a support ticket. Reference this thread as well.

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 19
thethirdnut
Guide

Will do. 

Message 17 of 19
thethirdnut
Guide

The reference number is 42864387 via email. Will post back what I find out / hear back if anything positive.

Message 18 of 19
EducatedPork
Aspirant

@thethirdnut,  I eventually managed to raise a support request on my side too (been trying all week, only to have the same server error messages - but it's now playing ball).

Reference number 42872221, and as with you I'll post back here if I get some good feedback. Hopefully with two reports (and two sets of data, if they need diagnostic information) they'll be able to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Dean

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7