Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Points or Netgear Orbi - Can Ethernet port act as an input to Orbi?

famaash
Follower

Access Points or Netgear Orbi - Can Ethernet port act as an input to Orbi?

Hi,

I have a 4500 sq. ft house with Ethernet ports scattered around the house.

All of those ports are ending in a cabinet where my Modem is also placed with XFinity internet (200 Mbps).

I am confused about the Ethernet input for Orbi. Initially, I thought I'll be putting Access points around the house but I am now considering putting Netgear Orbi instead.

My question is; if I place 4 Orbis around the house, can they all accept Ethernet Internet input which can be transmitted?

Also, do I need router when I use Orbi? Which router do you recommend? Nighthawk? 

Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Access Points or Netgear Orbi - Can Ethernet port act as an input to Orbi?

No, you cannot connect the Orbi units with wires.  All the satellites must connect to the Orbi base unit (called the router) over Orbi's proprietary wireless backhaul. The Orbi ports provide a connection to your LAN over the Orbi backhaul.

What you could do is use one of the wires to centrally locate the Orbi "router" in your house, such that your three satellites are equidistant from the "router" and not too far away from the "router."

You can use Orbi as your router or use it with another router in Access Point mode. In either case, you want it central to your home, as stated above.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Access Points or Netgear Orbi - Can Ethernet port act as an input to Orbi?

@famaash wrote:

Hi,

, I thought I'll be putting Access points around the house

this will always be your best course of action , anything else is a compromise wifi wise

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7