Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access admin page without resetting password

SingingJay
Follower

Access admin page without resetting password

So I wish to access the basic admin home page to configure port forwarding following this guide https://kb.netgear.com/31069/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-Orbi-system. According to the guide, once I login in the admin home page should display. Instead, I am directed to the reset router password with no way to access the home page. I am not using the default password and do not wish to reset my password. Is there any way to access the admin home page without a password reset?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Access admin page without resetting password

What browser are you using? 

Try clearing ALL browser caches before entering the RBRs web page. 

Try a different browser, IE11, Edge, Firefox or Opera.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@SingingJay wrote:

So I wish to access the basic admin home page to configure port forwarding 

I am not using the default password and do not wish to reset my password. Is there any way to access the admin home page without a password reset?

When the Orbi comes "out of the box", it has two different passwords:

• The WiFi SSID and password are printed on a label on the bottom of the unit.
    They are used to connect to the Orbi WiFi.
    During setup, many users choose to change either or both of these.
    (For example, I always set each new WiFi router to have the same SSID and password as the router that is being replaced.
      This allows all my devices to connect automatically to the new WiFi and also means I can "go back" by unplugging the new
      router and reinstalling the old one.)
    This is not the password used to access the Orbi administration web site.
  • The Orbi web admin comes "out of the box" with the user ID set to "admin" (which cannot be changed) and the password set to "password".  During setup, Netgear badgers owners to change that to something a little harder to guess.  (Mine is a sentence about 25 characters long.)
    So, to log on to the Orbi web site, the user ID is "admin" and the password is either "password" or something that was set by the user (you).

During the setup, the user is encouraged to enter answers to two questions that will unlock the Orbi web site if the admin password is entered incorrectly three times.  Alas, many times people do not pay close attention to setting these security questions and cannot get the Orbi to accept their answers.  (I learned the hard way that I had to "pull down" the drop down menu and deliberately select a question - even the top one.)

So if "admin" and the password you believe to be correct will not unlock the Orbi web site, then you do not know the password and have to set up the Orbi again.

Sorrry.

Message 3 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@SingingJay wrote:

So I wish to access the basic admin home page to configure port forwarding following this guide https://kb.netgear.com/31069/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-Orbi-system. According to the guide, once I login in the admin home page should display. Instead, I am directed to the reset router password with no way to access the home page. I am not using the default password and do not wish to reset my password. Is there any way to access the admin home page without a password reset?

Did you ever setup an admin password?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7