Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Actively looking for a replacement

WeBoat
Follower

Actively looking for a replacement

I have had this setup for about 6 months now.  I have followed everything here and updated to the latest beta.   We have had it.  Just passing this on for others.    We are actively looking for a replacement and I can't in good conscious replace this with the Pro version.

At least 3 or 4 times a day we have to take a phone or pad off wifi and go to cellular to do any web work.   Alexa comes on all the time and i'm told it's because of spotty wifi.

I keep hoping the next version will fix it, but have had enough.   Now what to do with 3 units i don't feel good about selling to someone else.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
Blcklab
Apprentice

Looking for the same advice from this forum. I've spent too much time trying to get sdtability out of my Orbi. 

Velop?

Lyra?

Eero?

I have a 2 story home. 2800 sq. ft. Orbi did a great job before eliminating dead zones. about 20 wifi devices incl. Ring, Bose Soundtouch, 2 Smart TVs, android devices plus google home devices (yes I know that may interfere)

We watch some netflix. My son games but thatss a direct ethernet connection from our PC.

Message 2 of 14
ALNJ2017
Star

I had Velop- worked ok, returned it after reading reviw of Orbi.

Velop is like Orbi if you can get to telnet interface -access to more features like a 5GHZ SSID.

Message 3 of 14
Blcklab
Apprentice

Can you tell me what you mean by functioned okay?
Message 4 of 14
idahoski
Tutor

Along with Orbi, I have tried Velop and Google Wifi.  All worked great initially and then started to have similar problems with random disconnects.  I am wondering if mesh wifi just isn't a good solution.   

Message 5 of 14
tagteam
Virtuoso

idahoski wrote:

...I am wondering if mesh wifi just isn't a good solution.   

Well, it's been a phenomenal solution for me. Previously, I had a wireless router with a couple of range extenders, the devices in my house disconnected constantly, and roaming never functioned properly. With Orbi, the issues I used to have are 100% gone - it's been just about perfect thus far.

Regardless, if you are fed up with the strictly mesh offerings (e.g., Google, Velop, et al), perhaps you might want to look at the ASUS routers that support AiMesh - you might get the best of both worlds there.

Message 6 of 14
MrX911
Apprentice

If you can manage without eithernet ports on the remote satellites, have a look at Amplfi HD. Not quite as fast as Orbi (but what is?) but 100% rock solid and great range too. 

Message 7 of 14
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I am actively looking at AiMesh at the moment. I already have a RT-AC86U so its just a case of pulling the Orbi and building the AiMesh with additional units.

But, having spent several hours reading Asus and in particular SNBForums it seems it is still a bit early to totally rely on the AiMesh as a fully functioning system. Lots of reports that it really is still in beta format but progress is at a vast rate of knots. (Unlike Netgear)

The SNBForum is extremely active and of course there is the Asuswrt- Merlin Factor.

My own thinking is that I am going to take the leap and initially set up with AP's and monitor the progress of AiMesh. Once its a bit more settled its only a matter of reconfiguring the units.

I would rather have a stable setup whilst I wait for AiMesh than continue fighting with Orbi on a daily basis. Plus, having watched the forums for a while I dont think that wait will be too long.

Message 8 of 14
ALNJ2017
Star

Only used Velop for a week-about a year ago-cannot really comment on reliability.

Velop tech support took a week to respond about having a separate 5Ghz SSID- by then I had returned the unit.

Like Orbi-via telnet you can get access to more features. (supported ?)

Message 9 of 14
mastervisa30
Luminary

I think I'll send back my rbk53 on Monday and try Orbi pro, That store I buy in Norway, we have 45 days of open purchase, so i can I test for 45 days if I'm not satisfied I can send back free of charge,dont have to pay before i like it :)i have tried asus lyra and linksys velop to many bugs,i also have tested asus ac5300 and ac86u and ac68u as aimesh,there is stil just beta firmware to ac5300,aimesh may be fine but is a bit early to work well yet to many bugs.I think orbi was great rbk53 if they just could fix the problems.I think orbi is the best so far,so i think i want to try Orbi Pro system.

Message 10 of 14
mikerpalmer
Tutor

I decided to give Eero a try. I use my wireless network in AP mode so I don’t think I have as many problems as people who use it it router mode. I kept having strange issues but just chalked it up to be general wireless issues: dropped connections, sporadic network slowdowns, etc. I can say, the Eero is way more stable for me. They say the Orbi is faster but for day to day use, the Eero seems to be more stable and smooth. Will give it more time and see if it continues. If Netgear figures out the kinks, I may put Orbi back in.
Message 11 of 14
Gtramsey2000
Guide

After the disconnect issues I’ve had I’m replacing my set up; I just want something that does it’s job without me having to mess around with it several times a day.  The support seems awful.  Luckily I have until the end of the month to send it back to Amazon 

Message 12 of 14
Blcklab
Apprentice

I have a 2800 sq ft 2 story home. Typical suburban stucco construction. Orbi 2 unit covered everything, when working.

Will 2 unit velop give similar coverage?

Message 13 of 14
apbrenner
Aspirant

I started getting tons of drops after a long period of stability.  Read in one of the strings that turning off the new daisy chain feature helped... so I tried it and have experienced significant improvements.  Not sure why they post a firmware with new feature turned on

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7