Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Add another Orbi RBR20 router via LAN cord and still use same SSID

drftorres
Aspirant

Add another Orbi RBR20 router via LAN cord and still use same SSID

I have purchased two main RBR20 routers, one of them with 2 satellties and the other one with 1 satellite. My apartment is big, so satellites are not enough. My main fiber cable internet is located in the master room, therefore I placed my main router (RBR20) over there. I installed a LAN cord to the other side of the apartment and placed the othe router (RBR20) connected via the LAN cord that comes from the main router. I have internet everywhere, but when I walk it switches from wifi to wifi. When I open the Orbi app and check the "Network map" I can only see the router I am connected with some sattellites. How can I set up all the equipments together in the same network map?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Wired or wireless. 

By using two RBR units you have two different wireless and networks systems. This is NOT recommended. RBR units can only run as main routers or AP mode. All you need to do is replace the remote RBR unit with a RBS unit. You use the RBS units using wired backhaul where needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Also Daisy Chain needs to be disabled if you have the RBS connected via LAN cable. 

@drftorres wrote:

I have purchased two main RBR20 routers, one of them with 2 satellties and the other one with 1 satellite. My apartment is big, so satellites are not enough. My main fiber cable internet is located in the master room, therefore I placed my main router (RBR20) over there. I installed a LAN cord to the other side of the apartment and placed the othe router (RBR20) connected via the LAN cord that comes from the main router. I have internet everywhere, but when I walk it switches from wifi to wifi. When I open the Orbi app and check the "Network map" I can only see the router I am connected with some sattellites. How can I set up all the equipments together in the same network map?

Thanks

Message 2 of 11
drftorres
Aspirant

Can I use my Orbi router as an Orbi satellite?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR routers can't be used as satellites. Only as the main host router or in main AP mode connected behind another router. 

Message 4 of 11
drftorres
Aspirant

I am using this configuration. Both are exactly the same routers.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. the Blue topped router in the pick is the RBR, the White topped one is the RBS. That configuration works. You can add more satellites to that as well. Just can't use the RBR as a satellite. You can connect it up as a separate wifi AP, however they may post problems and it will make your wifi surroundings more noisy and can cause wifi connection problems if in the same home. It's best to keep to 1 RBR and use satellites were needed. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 6 of 11
drftorres
Aspirant

5,000, concrete walls

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I have a home thats 5000sq ft, however not concrete and use just 1 satellite. 

If your connecting the satellites via wired, then placement won't be as critical. Your trying to get coverage throughout the home with considerations with concrete walls. Try just the main Orbi router and two satellites wired and go from there. You may need a 3rd maybe. 

Message 8 of 11
drftorres
Aspirant

Yes, it is already wired. The problem was I sent a LAN wire from RBR to another RBR and not RBS. So, did I loose my money on the extra RBR? 

Thanks

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Kinda. Since it's can't be used as a satellite. Have anyone that needs a router upgrade like a friend or family member? 

Message 10 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@drftorres wrote:

......., did I loose my money on the extra RBR? 

Thanks

1) Probably not lost much, RBK20 package is usually sold at the same or lower price than an RBS20 satellite so I think that you did a good deal!

2) You can still use the extra RBR20 in AP Mode and keep it wired to the main router if you need coverage in a remote area that you don't need to roam frequently (like a basement or garage,....whhere you have non-mobile devices like cameras or so). You will then need to select different radio channels in the two Orbi's and better to use different SSID's in order not to confuse the other devices.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7