Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Add extra router

GB1970
Aspirant

Add extra router

I have 2xRBR50's en 2 satelites. 

For now 1 router and 2 sateliets are running and I like to have an extra router just like a satelite, and not an extra router or network.

I tried to set up with an AP, but then I have 2 Orbi accesspoints and I like to have 1 accespoint. Please help, thnx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@GB1970 wrote:

Thanks for your answer, but i did'n buy a extra router, it was a gift.

Quite often people get "incredible deals" on an Orbi package, making the extra router "almost free".  My advice is to (a) keep it as a spare for when the Orbi is out of warranty (or in my case to experiment with), or (b) sell it on eBay (which is where I purchased the one I experiment with).

Good Luck, and Stay Safe!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The extra RBR50 router can be connected as an Access Point, as long as it is connected with an ethernet cable (from the WAN (yellow) port on the RBR50 to a LAN port on the existing router or satellite.  This is typically impractical.

And, if a person is physically able to connect this extra router with an ethernet cable, it will function exactly like a dumb "access point" from any vendor.  It will not "integrate" into the Orbi network.  Devices will not "roam" seamlessly between this access point and the primary Orbi system.  In other words, it is a frustrating use of an expensive device.

Provided the ethernet connection is actually possible, there are specific situations where deploying the extra router "is not too terrible."  For example, if there is an ethernet cable connecting the main house to an outbuilding where network devices seldom move (maybe a studio, garage door openers, irrigation controllers, TV's, security cameras, etc. etc.) the lack of integration is not a serious problem.

Sorry.  This question comes up almost every day and the answer is always the same.  Netgear did not design "routers" to function as "satellites".  Perhaps they could have, but they didn't.

Message 2 of 4
GB1970
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer, but i did'n buy a extra router, it was a gift. So i thought maybe i can us it like a satelite in stead of buying one.

The problem whith 2 accespoints is you'll need the be in the right network for using smart devices.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@GB1970 wrote:

Thanks for your answer, but i did'n buy a extra router, it was a gift.

Quite often people get "incredible deals" on an Orbi package, making the extra router "almost free".  My advice is to (a) keep it as a spare for when the Orbi is out of warranty (or in my case to experiment with), or (b) sell it on eBay (which is where I purchased the one I experiment with).

Good Luck, and Stay Safe!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7