Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Add third satellite

nsapcor
Tutor

Add third satellite

My current setup is RBR850 router with two RBR850 satellites, one wireless and the other ethernet. I want to add a third satellite via ethernet but the port currently is wired to a desktop. The solution seems to be a splitter from the port to the desktop and new satellte.   What make and model of splitter (or switch not sure of nomencature) would best be suited? The input wifi signal is 490 mbps

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Both the RBR850 router and RBS850 satellite have four gigabit LAN ports. One is being used by an existing RBS850 satellite. That leaves a bunch of open ports.

Use one of these ports for the new RBS850 satellite and plug a dumb gigabit ethernet switch into another port to service that desktop computer and other devices.  It is generally a good idea to connect satellite directly to the router LAN port.

As long as this new switch is not being used to connect Orbi satellites, it can be (literally) any gigabit switch of any brand. (Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link, etc.)

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@nsapcor wrote:

My current setup is RBR850 router with two RBR850 satellites, one wireless and the other ethernet. I want to add a third satellite via ethernet but the port currently is wired to a desktop. The solution seems to be a splitter from the port to the desktop and new satellte.   What make and model of splitter (or switch not sure of nomencature) would best be suited? The input wifi signal is 490 mbps

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7