Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Added RBS50 is Sync'd, Had IP address but IP/Bakhaul doesn't show in GNU

GMHunter
Aspirant

Added RBS50 is Sync'd, Had IP address but IP/Bakhaul doesn't show in GNU

I purchased a used Orbi RBS50 to add a 3rd to my existing system that includes the RBR50 and two RBS50 units supplied with the original system.  The 3rd RBS50 easily sync'd and showed in GNU as 3rd satelite with an assigned IP address.  Attemping to connect to wired to backhaul caused problems.

I had to manually update the firmware on 3rd RBS50 to V2.5.1.8 to match what the rest of the system and it shows in GNU on attached devices but does not list an IP address and shows Backhaul Status is Disconnected.  Following some of the troubleshooting, I reset the RBS50 and then re-sync'd it to the RBR50 with same result.

The IP address does not display in the GNU but it is assigned XXX.4 when runnign ARP -A from command line and using that IP I can successfully log in to the 3rd RBS50 Status Ap.  When I disconnect the 3rd RBS50 from the LAN, it goes Magenta.  The 3rd RBS50 does work to pass through wired devices back through the RBR50 with internet service but not if it isn't wired to the RBR50.

Any ideas what I need to do to get the WiFi Meshing to properly work?  The other two original RBS50's work when Backhauled or wireless.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

"GNU" is short for ???

Just a tiny bit of terminolory.  "Backhaul" is the term for communication between satellites and Orbi router.  Backhaul can be WiFi or ethernet, and there can be a mix.  Some satellite backhaul can be WiFi and some can be ethernet.

When the satellite is powered up, the ring light should follow the pattern described in this web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 

If the last "color" seen is a solid blue light, then the satellite has in fact connected to the router with a "good" connection.

Message 2 of 8
GMHunter
Aspirant

GNU is what I thought this forum has been refering to the RBR50 Orbilogin.net application, it says that at teh bottom.  The 3rd device does go thorugh the start up and flashes blue at the end but isn't connecting any devices nor is it doing more than a switch with regards to passing through wired internet; must be wired to router to allow wired device to get connected.

The lack of an assigned IP address in the RBR50 Obilogin.net is different than when first connected with a different, earlier firmware version in the 3rd RBS50.  After firmware upgrade to match rest of my Orbi system, the IP address that was visible is now gone.  Never got it communicating with different firmeware versions so I am thinking that going back to original is wrong direction.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@GMHunter wrote:

GNU is what I thought this forum has been refering to the RBR50 Orbilogin.net application, it says that at teh bottom.  The 3rd device does go thorugh the start up and flashes blue at the end but isn't connecting any devices nor is it doing more than a switch with regards to passing through wired internet; must be wired to router to allow wired device to get connected.

The lack of an assigned IP address in the RBR50 Obilogin.net is different than when first connected with a different, earlier firmware version in the 3rd RBS50.  After firmware upgrade to match rest of my Orbi system, the IP address that was visible is now gone.  Never got it communicating with different firmeware versions so I am thinking that going back to original is wrong direction.

Thanks for the explanation about "GNU".  Actually, Netgear is explaining that the Orbi software is issued under the GNU license because it is based on OpenWRT, which is open source software.  It has a nice ring to it.  I usually describe "Orbi web interface" vs. Orbi "app" (which is nearly worthless in my opinion).

My usual tactic is to do bring the satellite into the same room with the router (which avoids running back and forth), no ethernet cable for now, perform a "Factory Reset" on the satellite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 , then open the Orbi web interface and select "Add Orbi Satellite" (bottom menu item).  Until the satellite properly syncs with the router over WiFi, there is little point to attempting ethernet connection.  Once the WiFi backhaul is working correctly (satellite appears on Attached Devices), then an ethernet patch cable can be plugged in.

Attached Devices does not update instantly  I switched a laptop from ethernet to WiFi and it still showed up as connected for several minutes even though the cable was clearly unplugged.  The process of checking connections and updating Attached Devices appears to have several "timers" running.  Just in general, I find that computers are not very "fast" about doing things like starting up, updating, etc.

It is generally felt that the best practice is to have all Orbi units on the same firmware.

If you can give it another try, please describe what happens this time.

Message 4 of 8
GMHunter
Aspirant

Also in the RBR50 OrbiLogin.Net in the list with "connected satellites" it shows the 3rd just added RBS50 but no IP address, has its correct MAC but "connection type" and "connected orbi" have just a dash.  Again, the Backhaul Status has Disconnected with a button to remove.

Message 5 of 8
GMHunter
Aspirant

Sorry, I replied without seeing your reply.  I have factory resent the new RBS50 satellite a few times without wire, do I need to also reset the router (RBR50) like in the video?  If I resent the RBR50, will I need to also reset Sat#1 and Sat#2?  Thanks for patience and help!

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

No need to reset the router. (I should have mentioned that.  Sorry.)

Please "delete" the satellite from the display before trying to add it.

Message 7 of 8
GMHunter
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help CrimpOp, it is much appreciated.  In the end I had to factory reset the main router after disconnecting everything else (remember the firmware versions were already all upgraded to align).  Resetting the router, getting the 2 OEM Sats connected back and then adding the 3rd Sat using the outlined proceedures finally worked.

I did learn the hardway that it is important to save a router backup configuation of your "working" pre-install configuration before starting any Firmware Update and/or Adding another Sat.  I waited until I had updated the 3rd Sat and tried to install it, so when I saved that config file before factory resetting the router I believe it already had some problems.  As a result, I needed to reset everything from manual entry.

3rd Orbi Sat is up and working great, just like the other 2 OEM ones.  Thanks again CrimpOn, you guidance helped me get to the working final solution.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7