Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding 3rd RBW30 Satellite to RBR40 Router

DrPlano
Aspirant

Adding 3rd RBW30 Satellite to RBR40 Router

I have an RBR40 router with two RBW30 satellites in a large, 3-story older home (lathe & plaster walls). System has been working OK for ~5 months, but there are a few weak spots where I would like better coverage.  The firmware on the router and the satellites are up-to-date. 

I tried to add a third RBW30 satellite following the instructions in the Orbi WiFi System manual (dated September 2018; 202-11675-10), specifically "Sync an Add-On Satellite" on p. 23. These instructions refer to a "Power LED" on the back of the satellite and a "Power Off/On" button: I have neiither. I have the ring LED on the top of the satellite and "Sync" and a "Reset" buttons on the side of the satellite.  . 

Be that as it may, the instructions say to plug in the satellite and wait until the ring LED is solid white. My ring LED goes from flashing white to solid magenta. The Manal say this means the satellite cannot sync with the router and to move the satellite closer to the router. I have gotten the same results with the satellite as far from the router as possible in the house and 15 feet from the router.   

I also tried the orbilogin.net route, which also refers to a Power LED on the back of the satellite and waiting until the ring LED is solid white (both of which I ignored). I pressed the "Sync" button on the web page: after ~3 minuttes I got the ever-helpful message "Satellite setup failed." 

Any suggestions? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Adding 3rd RBW30 Satellite to RBR40 Router

here's what I'd do.

1. Reset the RBW30. Hold the reset button for 7-10 seconds. 

2. power down  your other satellites. Sometimes this helps during setup. You can power them back up after setup.

3. First try the adapter at about a 30ft distance. This is the mimimum recommended distance once setup.  If it doesn't work, then move it to the same room.  You can have it in same room for setup but once its setup, 30ft is recommended.

4. Plug in the RBW30. wait for it to fully boot. around 2 minutes. 

5. regardless if the ring led is magenta or white upon fully booting, press the sync button on the back of the  RBR40 router first. Within 2 minutes, press the sync button on the rbw30.

6. were you able to set it up? If so, move it to the location that you desire.

7. Unable? What happened? led's etc.  

Here's the support page the the RBW30. it also includes the quick install guide that shows how to install it via the app. have you tried using both the app and the browser?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

here's what I'd do.

1. Reset the RBW30. Hold the reset button for 7-10 seconds. 

2. power down  your other satellites. Sometimes this helps during setup. You can power them back up after setup.

3. First try the adapter at about a 30ft distance. This is the mimimum recommended distance once setup.  If it doesn't work, then move it to the same room.  You can have it in same room for setup but once its setup, 30ft is recommended.

4. Plug in the RBW30. wait for it to fully boot. around 2 minutes. 

5. regardless if the ring led is magenta or white upon fully booting, press the sync button on the back of the  RBR40 router first. Within 2 minutes, press the sync button on the rbw30.

6. were you able to set it up? If so, move it to the location that you desire.

7. Unable? What happened? led's etc.  

Here's the support page the the RBW30. it also includes the quick install guide that shows how to install it via the app. have you tried using both the app and the browser?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBW30.aspx

Message 2 of 4
DrPlano
Aspirant

plemans -

Worked great! Sorry to take so long to reply - have not been the office long enough until today to perform the test.

As per your suggestions I:

1. Reset Satellite-3 (the new one)
  2. Unplugged existing Satellite-1 and Satellite-2
  3. Plugged in Satellite-3 ~30 feet from Orbi router. LED flashing white for ~4 minutes then went to solid magenta
  4. Pressed and released Sync button on Satellite-3. LED flashing white again.
  5. Pressed and released Sync buttom on Orbi router within 15 seconds.
  6. LED light on Satellite-3 went to solid blue within ~1 minute.
  7. Checked orbilogin.net and it showed Satellite-3 status as "Good"
  8. After ~2 minutes LED on Satellite-3 went to flashing white again: on orbilogin.net status of Satellite-3 showed as "Disconnected", but then changed to "Good." 
  9. Plugged in Satellite-1 and waited for flashing white light to change to blue (~3 minutes). Sstatus of Satellite-3 showed up on orbilogin.net as "Good."
  10. Rinse & repeat with Satellite-2 - same result (status "Good"). 
  11. Moved Satellite-3 from test location to target location. Once booted, Status also "Good". 

Thanks again for you help . 

DrPlano

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working and that I could help!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7