Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding MyQ to Orbi wifi on 2.4 ghz

oif1mp
Aspirant

Adding MyQ to Orbi wifi on 2.4 ghz

First, I am not tech-savvy.  

Second, I used to run my home on an Apple Airport router.  The other day it crashed and my wife replaced it with the Orbi RBR20.  Our home has a MyQ wireless garage door opener.  Since setting up the Orbi, I cannot get MyQ to tie in with the Orbi.  From what I can tell, MyQ works on a 2.4 GHz network but not 5 GHz.  Can someone please walk me through how to manipulate the Orbi to accept the MyQ 2.4 GHz opener?  Again, I am not tech-savvy so I would appreciate some assistance.  One last thing, I use an Apple MacBook instead of Windows.

Thank you in advance!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Adding MyQ to Orbi wifi on 2.4 ghz

If your wife gave the Orbi the same (exactly) WiFi name and password as the old router, the garage door opener would have connected automatically.  OK, let's assume the Orbi has a different WiFi name and password.....

Page 32 of the MyQ User Manual shows how to use a smartphone or tablet to set up the MyQ WiFi connection.

https://fccid.io/HBW1D8169-1/User-Manual/User-manual-2-of-2-3438879 

It looks like the MyQ is broadcasting its own tiny WiFi network.  (This is what many "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices do.)  When a browser on the smartphone/table connects to the MyQ's web site, tell it the WiFi name and password of the Orbi, and the MyQ should connect.

Where exactly does this fail?

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@oif1mp wrote:

Second, I used to run my home on an Apple Airport router.  The other day it crashed and my wife replaced it with the Orbi RBR20.  Our home has a MyQ wireless garage door opener.  Since setting up the Orbi, I cannot get MyQ to tie in with the Orbi.  From what I can tell, MyQ works on a 2.4 GHz network but not 5 GHz.  Can someone please walk me through how to manipulate the Orbi to accept the MyQ 2.4 GHz opener?  Again, I am not tech-savvy so I would appreciate some assistance.  One last thing, I use an Apple MacBook instead of Windows.

Thank you in advance!

How do you perform the setup for the MyQ wireless garage door opener, on your phone?  Remember, with a Mesh system, there is only one SSID.  You have have to turn the 2.5g down and hope you can force the phone to that freq.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You can temporarily disable the 5ghz SSID broadcase by unchecking the "Enable 5G SSID Broadcast" check box Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Long enough for you to get the IoT device connected with your setup mobile device to the 2.4Ghz SSID. 

@oif1mp wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Message 4 of 9
oif1mp
Aspirant

CrimpOn,

Thank you for your help!  

With the manual you included I was able to reset the wifi settings and get it set up using a wifi extender that I set up as a 2.4 GHz port.  

I really appreciate the information!

Message 5 of 9
Mwertz0429
Aspirant

Thanks for the manual with the reset info. I tried everything including making some suggested changes to my Orbi network which did not work. Once i reset the wifi memory on the opener it worked perfectly. Thanks!!!

Message 6 of 9
benib
Aspirant

Hi, I am having the same problem with my new RBK23.  Troubleshooting says will not work with the 5Ghz setting but I cannot find the advanced settings tab on the app to temporarily dissable as has been stated above..  how do I get to this on the app??

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, the "app" cannot access the Orbi advanced functions (of which there are many).  This has to be done with a web browser.  Connect to "orbilogin.net", select the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.  The smartphone has to be told to "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then select the Orbi from the list of available WiFi networks, enter the password, and connect.  Perform the device setup, then go back and tell the Orbi to Broadcast SSID on the 5G network.  This is a pain in the (sensitive part of body).  It is really frustrating that so many products "just work", and a few are programmed so poorly.

Also, I understand why Netgear released a smartphone app to set up the Orbi.  (1) All their competitors are doing so, and (2) using a web screen on a smartphone is really cumbersome.  Just wish they had gone "all in" with the app instead of doing only the basics.

Message 8 of 9
bstanley
Initiate

Sounds like the user got this resolved by adding a repeater (most likely with same SSID and password), however I had similar issues when trying to connect my Garage Doors to the network.  I had turned off the 5 Ghz SSID and only exposed the 2.4 Ghz, but even then, I could not get this to work.  I also even went as far as creating separate networks; one for 2.4 and another for 5, but even that didn't work.  Following the instructions on my MyQ app didn't do me much better, which involved unplugging the garage door and then hitting a button 3x.  In the end, what did work was completely resetting my garage door wifi setup.  This most likely is different for each type of garage door, but for me following these steps (https://support.chamberlaingroup.com/s/article/How-to-clear-the-Wi-Fi-settings-on-MyQ-Wi-Fi-product) and then retrying the wifi setup worked.  I sort of ran into this by accident and I really wish the garage door app had this as a suggestion as well.  Hope this helps someone else.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7