Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding Orbi RBK53 to home office

wildpete
Aspirant

Adding Orbi RBK53 to home office

I am brand new to Orbi, and not a technical wizard by any means. I have recently moved my business into a home office and have 4 Mac computers and a Xerox laser printer networked via a Linksys 16-port gigabit switch. The printer and 2 of the computers do not have WiFi capability (they are old). My DSL service comes into a Comtrend modem (rented from my phone company). Office space is above a detached garage/shop within 50 feet of the house. Currently the WiFi can reach the nearest room of the house, but not the entire house. My goal is to extend the wireless signal to the entire house, allowing me to eliminate paying for 2 DSL services. My question is, do I connect the Orbi router after the switch, or between the switch and the modem? I sincerely appreciate any help!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@wildpete wrote:

I am feeling a bit less overwhelmed now. Thank you for this information. And I really appreciate the plain talk. Is putting the rented modem into "bridge" mode something I can do or does the ISP have to do it?

Got me there.  My guess is you need to call their support line and say, "I got a new WiFi system and they tell me that the Comtrend has to be put into 'bridge or passthrough mode'.  Can you do that for me, or can I do it myself?"  If they cannot do it or tell you how to, then you put the Orbi into AP mode and get on with life.

I had a service call from Spectrum several months ago and I said to the tech, "Hey.  I have no use for the router and WiFi since I have my own.  Can you just install a 'plain modem'", and he said, "sure. no problem."

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

In Option #1 and #2, the switch would be placed after the Orbi router. 

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

In the case of option #3, you can connect the RBR in AP mode to the switch thats behind the ISP Modem/Router. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 6
wildpete
Aspirant

The rented modem is Comtrend NexusLink 3120. I have not connected the Orbi yet as I didn't want to cause a big mess.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the photo.  The Comtrend is a combination modem/router/WiFi.  As @FURRYe38 described you have two easy choices:

1. Turn off the WiFi on the Comtrend.
    Install the Orbi router in the office as an Access Point (AP).
    Place the Orbi satellite in the house where it gets a decent signal from the router and use the satellite to provide WiFi to the house.
    In this case, it does not matter if the switch is between the Comtrend and the Orbi or connected to the Orbi.
    Since this requires no interaction with the internet provider and only one change to the Comtrend (turning off WiFi), this is the easiest.
    or....
  2. Place the Comtrend in "bridge" or "passthrough" mode so that it is "only a modem". Not a router.  No WiFi.
    The Orbi needs to be connected directly to the Comtrend, with the switch connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports.
    Because this requires changing the fundamental mode of the Comtrend, this is more work.

Part of the decision is whether you want the Comtrend or the Orbi to be "your router".  Do you want/need VPN to the office from elsewhere?  Does the Comtrend provide VPN?  The Orbi does, but it has to be a router to do so.

Good Luck

Message 4 of 6
wildpete
Aspirant

I am feeling a bit less overwhelmed now. Thank you for this information. And I really appreciate the plain talk. Is putting the rented modem into "bridge" mode something I can do or does the ISP have to do it?

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@wildpete wrote:

Got me there.  My guess is you need to call their support line and say, "I got a new WiFi system and they tell me that the Comtrend has to be put into 'bridge or passthrough mode'.  Can you do that for me, or can I do it myself?"  If they cannot do it or tell you how to, then you put the Orbi into AP mode and get on with life.

I had a service call from Spectrum several months ago and I said to the tech, "Hey.  I have no use for the router and WiFi since I have my own.  Can you just install a 'plain modem'", and he said, "sure. no problem."

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7