Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Orbi onto a Sky Q router - Couple of questions

Neil_Fawcett
Aspirant

Adding Orbi onto a Sky Q router - Couple of questions

I'd be looking to do the following:-

• Disable the wireless network on my Sky Q Router.
  • Connect the Orbi to an ethernet port on the Sky Q Router.
  • Enable a wireless nework on the Orbi with the same name/password as the Sky Q's wifi network (so all wifi devices simply connect to the orbi instead of the Sky router).

My concerns:-

• As the Sky Router has fixed port forwarding rules and the like, and I believe even some hard coded IP addresses, would this conflict with the Orbi? Would I have to run the Orbi in AP mode because of this?
  • If I get Sky Q Hubs (to watch Sky in other rooms) would these work though the Orbi? Or would I need to turn back on the Sky Q Router's wifi (eg: under a new dedicated wifi name)?

If I have to put the Orbi into AP mode, does this compromise its functionality in any significant way?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Adding Orbi onto a Sky Q router - Couple of questions

@Neil_Fawcett wrote:

I'd be looking to do the following:-

• Disable the wireless network on my Sky Q Router.
  • Connect the Orbi to an ethernet port on the Sky Q Router.
  • Enable a wireless nework on the Orbi with the same name/password as the Sky Q's wifi network (so all wifi devices simply connect to the orbi instead of the Sky router).

My concerns:-

• As the Sky Router has fixed port forwarding rules and the like, and I believe even some hard coded IP addresses, would this conflict with the Orbi? Yes when Orbi is in Router mode. Would I have to run the Orbi in AP mode because of this? If you can't bridge the ISP modem or use the modems DMZ for the Orbi in router mode, then yes, configure the Orbi for AP mode.
  • If I get Sky Q Hubs (to watch Sky in other rooms) would these work though the Orbi? Or would I need to turn back on the Sky Q Router's wifi (eg: under a new dedicated wifi name)? You'll need to see if the Hubs can work thru a different wifi system on the modems network or not. I would ask the ISP if these hubs can connect to a different wifi system thats connected to the Modems network. 

If I have to put the Orbi into AP mode, does this compromise its functionality in any significant way? Most of the router features are disabled in AP mode. Guest Network is still available for use

odem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 8
Neil_Fawcett
Aspirant

Regarding your second suggestion of a DMZ - which I'm not familiar with - I'd surely have to ensure the Orbi gets a fixed IP address by defining that  in the Sky Router, so the DMZ rule stays valid?

Or would that static address be defined on the Orbi?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Setting up a reserved IP address ON the modem would be recommended in either case of router or AP mode. Look into using the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi if your wanting to try it in router mode. 

Message 4 of 8
Neil_Fawcett
Aspirant

Well, I seem to be able to define a static IP address on the Sky Router for any device, and there is also the ability to set an IP address for a DMZ along these lines (although this is from a previous version of the router... but it's similar to my newer one) -

I assume then all ethernet (wired) devices would be plugged in to the sky router, and NOT the Orbi router then? And my existing port forwarding rules on the Sky router would continue to work etc...

Or by setting up the DMZ would all control be passed to the Orbi so it would need everything (wired) plugged in effect into it, and nothing else in the Sky router?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Neil_Fawcett wrote:

Well, I seem to be able to define a static IP address on the Sky Router for any device, and there is also the ability to set an IP address for a DMZ along these lines (although this is from a previous version of the router... but it's similar to my newer one) -

I assume then all ethernet (wired) devices would be plugged in to the sky router, and NOT the Orbi router then? And my existing port forwarding rules on the Sky router would continue to work etc...

Only if you choose to use the Orbi in AP mode. 

Or by setting up the DMZ would all control be passed to the Orbi so it would need everything (wired) plugged in effect into it, and nothing else in the Sky router? 

Yes, you are correct if you want to use the Orbi in Router mode. 

Message 6 of 8
Neil_Fawcett
Aspirant

So if I go down the DMZ mode to connect the Orbi to my Sky Q Router:-

- Nothing but the orbi would be wired to the Sky Q Router (& its wifi would be disabled)

- All wired connections would go into the Orbi

- Static IP address definitions I currently have on the Sky Q Router (for other devices) would need to be moved to the Orbi?

- Port forwarding rules I currently have on the Sky Q Router would need to be moved to the Orbi?

In effect that DMZ definition meaning the entire buck for everything except the internet (fibre) connection is being passed to the Orbi, with the Sky Q Router being left almost doing nothing?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Neil_Fawcett wrote:

So if I go down the DMZ mode to connect the Orbi to my Sky Q Router:-

- Nothing but the orbi would be wired to the Sky Q Router (& its wifi would be disabled) Correct.

- All wired connections would go into the Orbi Correct.

- Static IP address definitions I currently have on the Sky Q Router (for other devices) would need to be moved to the Orbi? All IP address "Reservations" would be now make on the Orbi router. 

- Port forwarding rules I currently have on the Sky Q Router would need to be moved to the Orbi? Correct.

In effect that DMZ definition meaning the entire buck for everything except the internet (fibre) connection is being passed to the Orbi, with the Sky Q Router being left almost doing nothing? Correct.

Possilbe you might ask your ISP if the SKY Q router can be removed from there system and if you can connect the Orbi router in place. They would be able to tell you if this is possible. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7