Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding RBR50 to Existing Network

COL_JSims
Aspirant

Adding RBR50 to Existing Network

I wish to install the Orbi solution in a local CPA office. They have an existing network with Cisco router and Cisco switch. The primary purpose for adding the Orbi solution is to enable Wifi connections in the office for laptops and employee smartphones. They also want to offer the Guest Wifi for when clients come to their office.  

Since there is an existing router, I believe that I need to setup the base unit as an access point, but I'm struggling to make the initial connection. I used a laptop to connect to the Orbi, but when I tried to use the orbilogin.com to make configuration changes, I get redirected to the Netgear problem connecting web page. I don't know the dynamically assigned IP address, so I can't use a browser to connect in order to make the configuration changes. Also, am I still able to position the 2 satellites to extend the range of the Wifi?

I use the same configuration at home and it provides excellent coverage over 6000 sq ft, so that's why we want it at the CPA office.

Thanks in advance.

RBR50 with 2 Satellites, CPA Office

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

As long as you connect the RBS to the back of the RBR, directly or with switches in between the RBR and RBS:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, Disconnect the RBR from the main host router as it doesn't need to be connected at this point. 
Have your wired PC connected to the back of the RBR. Use a web browser, IE11, Edge or Firefox and navigate to 192.168.1.1. If you still can't access the RBRs web page here, try factory resetting the RBR by pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. Try 192.168.1.1. You can manually setup the RBR when you see the setup wizard begin. After you get to the RBRs main web page after the setup wizard complete, go in and set AP mode on the RBR. Advanced tab/Advanced/Router-AP mode.

I highly recommend setting a static IP address on the RBR so you can access the RBRs web page while in AP mode at any time. I would use 192.168.#.50. This IP address needs to be outside of the host router default IP address pool. I use 192.168.#.100 to .200. You may have a different IP address string and pool size for the business needs so adjust accordingly.

Once you have the RBR configured for AP mode and you apply the setting. The RBR should reboot. While it reboots, connect the LAN cable from the host router to the RBRs yellow WAN port. You should have internet access thru the RBR in AP now. 

Message 2 of 7
COL_JSims
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.  I will immediately give this a try.  After applying this configuration, will the 2 satellites recognize the base to create the fully meshed wifi that we seek? Both satellites use wired connections, so I would think so since everything will operate on the same IP address range and subnet.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

As long as you connect the RBS to the back of the RBR, directly or with switches in between the RBR and RBS:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 4 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@COL_JSims wrote:

Since there is an existing router, I believe that I need to setup the base unit as an access point, but I'm struggling to make the initial connection. I used a laptop to connect to the Orbi, but when I tried to use the orbilogin.com to make configuration changes, I get redirected to the Netgear problem connecting web page. I don't know the dynamically assigned IP address, so I can't use a browser to connect in order to make the configuration changes. Also, am I still able to position the 2 satellites to extend the range of the Wifi?

If possible the best scenario would be to remove the existing router and replace it with the Orbi router. Run in router mode and have it take over DHCP duties. Also use the same DHCP IP address scheme, so all wired devices will connect without having to change IP addresses on the devices with possible static IP addresses. If the existing router is also WIFI, you can name the Orbi SSID the same as the old router and all wifi devices should reconnect. If they don't a device reboot should fix it.

Message 5 of 7
COL_JSims
Aspirant

Thank you, but the local utility (epb.net) installed and configured the router and Cisco 26 port gigabit switch.  I can confirm that the AP configuration is working on the RBR, but the 2 RBS do not appear to be syncing with the RBR despite having all traffic routed through the Cisco switch. Are there other options I can try to get them synced so that they receive the full benefits of a mesh wifi solution.  I may approach the senior partner with the suggestion of using the Orbi as the router.

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

To get the RBS syncd wired with the RBR, be sure they are connected directly behind the RBR, not in parallel at the host switch. They have to be behind the RBR. You can have a switch in between the RBS and RBR.

@COL_JSims wrote:

Thank you, but the local utility (epb.net) installed and configured the router and Cisco 26 port gigabit switch.  I can confirm that the AP configuration is working on the RBR, but the 2 RBS do not appear to be syncing with the RBR despite having all traffic routed through the Cisco switch. Are there other options I can try to get them synced so that they receive the full benefits of a mesh wifi solution.  I may approach the senior partner with the suggestion of using the Orbi as the router.

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7