Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Satellites

RajSearing
Aspirant

Adding Satellites

I have RBR40 Router with two satellites on main home level and Outdoor Orbi in basement. All works well.  I want better coverage out in the pool house which is 150 feet from the house.  150 feet from one satellite (through glass)  and 200 feet from actual RBR40 router (through one wall and window). The Orbi Outdoor is in basement surrounded by cinder block walls about 200 feet from pool house.  Can I get another satellite for the pool house or is it too far from the router.  If I can get another satellite, which one ? My current satellites are RBS20 and my outdoor orbi is RBS50Y. What would be compatible? 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Adding Satellites

@RajSearing wrote:

I have RBR40 Router with two satellites on main home level and Outdoor Orbi in basement. All works well.  I want better coverage out in the pool house which is 150 feet from the house.

Extending WiFi coverage at this distance is a common problem.  WiFi radio signals from the omnidirectional antennas in residential WiFi access points diminish according to the "inverse square law".  Getting any satellite to sync over this distance is highly unlikely.  There are two distinct solutions:

1. Bury an ethernet cable from the main house to the pool house. Connect one end to the router and the other end to a new satellite inside the pool house.  The new satellite can be any of the original Orbi models (RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBS40V).
    Materials costs are modest.  200 ft. of direct burial Cat 6 cable with connectors is under $70.
    https://www.amazon.com/UbiGear-Waterproof-Resistant-Oxygen-Free-Construction/dp/B081G6Z55Q/ref=sr_1_... 
    The killer is installation difficulty. (Penetrating both buildings, crossing concrete, walls, etc. etc.)
    If installing an ethernet cable is possible, it is the #1 solution.
  2. Installing a WiFi bridge link which appears to the Orbi to be an ethernet cable is the #2 solution.
    Search on Amazon for "wifi point to point bridge". These products have directional antennas and are typically rated in terms of kilometers. The signal is usually strong enough that they can be mounted inside both buildings, which eliminated the hassle of penetrating walls, waterproofing, etc. (If one of the buildings has metal walls, then the antenna has to be outside the wall.)
    I have seen posts praising the Ubiquiti Nano line of products.  enGenius gets good reviews.
    My recommendation is to read the product reviews to see what customers say about (a) how the problem they addressed is similar to your situation, and (b) what they report about the results.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes however that distance will be too far. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@RajSearing wrote:

I have RBR40 Router with two satellites on main home level and Outdoor Orbi in basement. All works well.  I want better coverage out in the pool house which is 150 feet from the house.

Extending WiFi coverage at this distance is a common problem.  WiFi radio signals from the omnidirectional antennas in residential WiFi access points diminish according to the "inverse square law".  Getting any satellite to sync over this distance is highly unlikely.  There are two distinct solutions:

1. Bury an ethernet cable from the main house to the pool house. Connect one end to the router and the other end to a new satellite inside the pool house.  The new satellite can be any of the original Orbi models (RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBS40V).
    Materials costs are modest.  200 ft. of direct burial Cat 6 cable with connectors is under $70.
    https://www.amazon.com/UbiGear-Waterproof-Resistant-Oxygen-Free-Construction/dp/B081G6Z55Q/ref=sr_1_... 
    The killer is installation difficulty. (Penetrating both buildings, crossing concrete, walls, etc. etc.)
    If installing an ethernet cable is possible, it is the #1 solution.
  2. Installing a WiFi bridge link which appears to the Orbi to be an ethernet cable is the #2 solution.
    Search on Amazon for "wifi point to point bridge". These products have directional antennas and are typically rated in terms of kilometers. The signal is usually strong enough that they can be mounted inside both buildings, which eliminated the hassle of penetrating walls, waterproofing, etc. (If one of the buildings has metal walls, then the antenna has to be outside the wall.)
    I have seen posts praising the Ubiquiti Nano line of products.  enGenius gets good reviews.
    My recommendation is to read the product reviews to see what customers say about (a) how the problem they addressed is similar to your situation, and (b) what they report about the results.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 5
RajSearing
Aspirant

Many thanks.. I ran a conduit during construction so Ill go that route.. I'm going to need the Satellite for laptops and tablets out by the pool.  I was wondering if I could get away with just the new satellite.  Thanks much

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7