Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding a access point?

Adding a access point?

I currently have an Orbi system with 2 satellites. The main Orbi and 1 sattelite are on the main floor and the second satellite is in middle of second floor. In the finished basement there is spotty coverage. I have ethernet availble in basement so wondering what the best way to boost coverage in basement using a wired connection. We have a TV in this area that is only wireless. Do I just add a router in AP mode? If so what's the best router to use in this config. Basement is single area < 2000 sq ft.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Adding a access point?

I've got 4 satellites running right now. And I've seen up to 6x on the forums. Official support I believe is 3 satellites. 

It works well, expecially when hardwired in. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You'd add another satellite. You can hardwire in the satellites (except the rbw30, no ethernet connection). 

Message 2 of 5

You can add a 3rd satellite? I thought it was limited to 2?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I've got 4 satellites running right now. And I've seen up to 6x on the forums. Official support I believe is 3 satellites. 

It works well, expecially when hardwired in. 

Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@DigitalMan2112 wrote:

I currently have an Orbi system with 2 satellites. The main Orbi and 1 sattelite are on the main floor and the second satellite is in middle of second floor. In the finished basement there is spotty coverage. I have ethernet availble in basement so wondering what the best way to boost coverage in basement using a wired connection. We have a TV in this area that is only wireless. Do I just add a router in AP mode? If so what's the best router to use in this config. Basement is single area < 2000 sq ft.

Another RBS50 would be good, but they are a little pricey. However, right now Netgear has the Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker (RBS40V) on sale for $99.00, which is a great deal and would probably get the job done downstairs in the basement. And the addition of a speaker and Alexa is a nice plus. 

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs40v-200.aspx

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7