Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding a satellite unit

LSheeley
Aspirant

Adding a satellite unit

If I add a RBS20 — Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, will my wired connection be faster?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Adding a satellite unit

The RBS20 is rated at 866Mbps connection rate with wireless devices. Most wired LAN connections now days are rated at 1000Mbps. LAN ports in back of RBR and RBSs are rated at 1000Mbps.

Message 2 of 6
LSheeley
Aspirant

I'm trying to speed my streaming connection. 

So the satellite wired connections on the back will have up to 1000Mbps connection through the wireless connection from the main Router (RBR 50)? 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the connection rate between the RBS20 and the RBR50 wirelessly will be 866Mbps. You can wire LAN connect the RBS to the RBR, then the rate will be 1000Mbps between the two: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 6
LSheeley
Aspirant

Distance is less than 30 feet, but wireless hates my house.    I'll review your suggestions with my work IT consultant as I'm not a technician. Honestly, I don't speak the language. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon building materials, these can effect any WiFi signals, especially concrete and steel. If wood and sheet rock, i would make sure distances are starting at 30 feet between RBS and RBR. Too close and signals cause too much signal over lap and can cause problems. Placement and distance is key. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7