Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding a third satelite

Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Adding a third satelite

I have an RBR50 router and two satellites. One is an RBD50 and the other is an RB50. I am getting connection issues with one side of the house and want to add a third Satelite. Should I buy an RB50 or an RBS50?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

RBK50 should have RBS 50s in the kit believe.

At any rate, RBS50 would be best suited....

Message 2 of 14
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. So what’s the difference between an RB50 and an RBS50 Satelite ?
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure. Could be a regional marketing thing. I presume the internal HW is probably the same. Maybe one of the forum moderators can chime in.

@DarrenM

Message 4 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

It should be RBS50 all over the world.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 14
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Thank Darren, so I have an RBR50 with two Satelite RBS50. One of the Satelite is upstairs in my house. It has a weak connection with the router no matter where I place it and occasional would disconnect . Should I get another RBS50 to extend the range of the RbR50 to the upstairs Satelite ? Or should I buy a range extender and if so which range extender should I get?
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried enabling Daisy Chain with your two satellites?

@Gizmoguycdn wrote:
I have an RBR50 router and two satellites. One is an RBD50 and the other is an RB50. I am getting connection issues with one side of the house and want to add a third Satelite. Should I buy an RB50 or an RBS50?

Message 7 of 14
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Hi, how would I enable the two RBS50 to daisy chain? Though actually I don’t know if that would help as they are not close and there are some concrete walls separating them. I am interested to learn how to daisy chain in case I buy a third Satelite.
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

If you have some concrete in the middle, this will be a factor. Building materials can effect signals. Especially on 5Ghz.

May need to move them close to each other.

Any chance of running CAT6 buried LAN cableing between buildings?

Message 9 of 14
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

All are in the same house which has solid concrete walls. My router is in the living room , one Satelite is in the study room and the third is upstairs . It’s the one upstairs I have an occasional connectivity problem with. It is very difficult to run a cat5 from the main floor to the upstairs . So the only chances are either to add a third Satelite at the base of the stairs going to the upstairs which would manage to relay the router signal, or install a repeater . Not sure if I can program only the additional Satelite to daisy chain though?
Message 10 of 14
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Hi Darren, I read the article. It does not tell me how to configure the Orbi satellites to daisy chain. Is it automatic or do I manually have to configure it either to be in star or a daisy chain topology?
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The Daisy Chain feature is found on the main routers UI under Advanced tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. It's just a check mark to enable the feature. No configuration on the satellite needed.

I'm not Darren. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 14
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Hi ,

Many thanbks for your reply. I have no idea where I saw "darren" and used it thinking it was your name, my apologies.

I just posted a related question on what to buy RBS50 or Nighhawk X4S rane extender to daisy chain to my satelite 2.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I replied there too.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements