Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding extra satellites

Ducatti
Tutor

Adding extra satellites

Hi, I have a the RBR20 system with router and 2 extra satellites at present but I need to get coverage at the edge of the property to pick up a wifi CCTV cam on the wall outside. This location is furthest from other router and satellites and is not covered today. It is a dead zone. I've played about relocating the current config but it is just too far for it plus I guess the solid external wall doesn't help either. Therefore I'm looking to add another RBR20 satellite but I can only find RBR20 routers for sale. It seems all the satellites are on backorder. 

So the question is, can I use an additional router instead of an additional staellite?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Adding extra satellites

Alas, you cannot install an Orbi "router" model and connect it to an existing Orbi system as a "satellite".

Since the camera is a fixed object that "never moves", you might consider using an inexpensive WiFi extender.  Almost every manufacturer sells them for under $40.  I have experimented with inexpensive extenders from TP-Link and Netgear.  They connect to the Orbi system using Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) or can be configured manually.

If the camera is only capable of 2.4G WiFi, which many of them are, then a WiFi extender can be even less costly.  Amazon sells the TP-Link N300 for $20.  As (some prominent politician said this Spring) "What do you have to lose?"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, you cannot install an Orbi "router" model and connect it to an existing Orbi system as a "satellite".

Since the camera is a fixed object that "never moves", you might consider using an inexpensive WiFi extender.  Almost every manufacturer sells them for under $40.  I have experimented with inexpensive extenders from TP-Link and Netgear.  They connect to the Orbi system using Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) or can be configured manually.

If the camera is only capable of 2.4G WiFi, which many of them are, then a WiFi extender can be even less costly.  Amazon sells the TP-Link N300 for $20.  As (some prominent politician said this Spring) "What do you have to lose?"

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You try out a RBS50Y outdoor RBS...

Message 3 of 6
Ducatti
Tutor

Hi, you're right.

I had a TP-Link RE450 extender that was somewhat redundant after I installed my Orbi and so I tried configuring it as an extender to Orbi and it works a treat. My upload/download speed in the locale is the same as the rest of the Orbi system and I'm getting 70% signal strength at the camera. Sorted!

Thanks for your help.....  Rgds....Rob

Message 4 of 6
Ducatti
Tutor

Thank you, that's a good thought but I tried connecting a TP Link RE450 that was redundant after installing my Orbi and it works a treat now. Same performance and 70% signal strength at the camera.... I didn't know I could do that but it's fine.

Thanks for your help.....  Rgds..... Rob

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it all working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation